what to feed chevron tang?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by fishluver, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

Ive got a chevron tang in my 72 gallon. im trying to feed it but my piggy clown trigger get everything. I just started up about a 2 weeks ago and i us to feed them new life spectrum little pellets (for my two clownfish) and the big pellets. then i would feed them the algae that you put on a clip but that was gone in seconds by my clowntrigger. and last i would feed them ocean nutrition reef flakes. that was a bout three times a day. now i just dump in the little pellets and alot of the flakes. The flakes have to float down in the aquarium inorder for him to even try it. he hates pelletso im stuck. the alge clip didint work cause my clownrigger would rip it of in 5 seconds. I was thinking of getting spirulina flakes. I dont know!?

fish luver

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Have you tried any frozen foods like mysis shrimp? Most fish will go after that more.

1 person likes this.
  4. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

thanks. ill try that

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

The easiest way to solve it is to get 1 or 2 more clips for the algae. The clown trigger can't be in two places at the same time. I use 2 clips and I just bought a third. I have tangs and angels that both like the algae. Try finding some formula two flakes. Tangs go wild for this. Good luck!:)

1 person likes this.
  6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

ctenochaetus tangs can be picky as far as eating prepared foods.

I had a ctenochaetus binotatus that would only eat algae off the tank, and that was it. He eventually starved becasue he would not eat any prepared food, not even nori.

Now I have a kole tang, which is also a ristletooth, and it eats algae from the tank, prepared foods, meaty and nori. This one is a pig.

Hopefully your ctenochaetus hawiiansus starts mowing, as those are $$$ fish.

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Ahemmmmmmmm................

A tang in a tank that is two weeks old??

8. Click Here!

9. fishluver

fishluver Sea Dragon

thnks everyone! hes eating now. hes eating the mysis and the spirulina and prime reef flakes. hes happy now that he started eating. the tang wouldnt go up to the algae clip. he wouldnt of gotten near it. so now hes eating and hes very happy!!!