What to expect from trumpet coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by cj5_dude, Oct 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

I picked up two frags of green trumpet coral from my LFS the other day. One is a single polyp and the other is a single with a small one coming out the side. I'm assuming that over time they will branch off more and create more polyps but I don't really know. How long does it take for these to grow more? Is it months for new polyps? I realize nothing happens fast but I'd like to know what to look for to know if it's normal or not.

I also have some mushrooms that I'm wondering how/when they'll spread and some GSP. Will the mat of the GSP attach itself to my rock? How quickly does it grow and spread?

2. Click Here!

3. kriv4o

kriv4o Astrea Snail

You might wanna attach the GSP mat on a rock that's away from other rocks. That thing spreads fast:)
    The growth rate depends on your system: water quality, available food, lightning etc. No way to know for sure.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

My candy cane polyp created a second "mouth" and now it's slowly splitting into another polyp.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

See here:

Attached Files:

6. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

How long did it take to do that? I'm trying to plan my tank out of where I'm going to be putting different corals and I don't want to put anything too close together and cause issues down the road. If we're talking 6 months to split then I'm not as worried as 1 month kinda thing.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've had it for 4 months and it started splitting about 2 weeks ago. They can get large and the splitting be more frequent the more heads it gets. It may start slow, but it could end up growing fast.

8. Click Here!

9. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

Ok, that's helpful. Do I need to worry about keeping two frags of the same coral near each other? Will they attack their own kind if it's a separate frag?

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Good question. I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can help you with that one.

11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

They should be fine in close proximity

12. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

We got a trumpet frag that had 4 heads on it about August of 11. It now has 20+ heads on it.