What to do with my lighting?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Zimmy71, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

Currently I have a Tek 4 bulb T5 fixture over my 65 gallon tank. I have softies, lps, and sps (birdsnest, some caps, digis, and bottlebrush acro). I have caught the sps bug and want to add more acros and maybe a clam. I found someone that is offering a 250w mh (pendant, ballast, and two bulbs) all for $50. Then I have my lfs selling me a used 150w mh set-up (reflectors, ballasts, and bulbs) for a $100. Should I jump on any of these sales or stick with what I have?

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

If you really want to dive into SPS you'll most likely need at least a 6-bulb T5 fixture with good reflectors or an 8-bulb would be optimal. With the 4 you'll most likely need to keep everything higher up to get good growth & coloration, unless it's like an ATI PpowerModule, those are beasts!

In terms of clams I was able to support two Maximas on the sandbed with my 5-bulb fixture. It's really a case of reflectors and bulbs, the better each is, the more success you will have.

I recently went from T5's to MH and I love the Halides. I used to have a 5-bulb TX5 fixture and I now have a 250w pendant. I would think you could do 2x250w MH over that tank and it would be nice for SPS.

1 person likes this.
  4. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

I also just switched from t5's to MH. What reflector and everything is included with the 250W set up you found? If its a good one, then sell your t5 set ups and get the same reflector and ballast as the 250 one since it comes with two bulbs already.

5. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

usio 14 k bulb, pfo pendant, and icecap ballast.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You will be fine with a 4 bulb TEK for SPS, I had 4 bulbs over my 75 and the corals did great. I have SPS almost 2/3 of the way down and they do great. I just added a 5th to use a pure actinic bulb to get them to color up quicker from light inhibition from having 6 bulbs over the tank.

7. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

Don't get me wrong my sps are growing lik weeds. In fact I had one green cap that was dead white growing coraline algae on it and with the improvement of water quality the coral has come back to life. The problem is my 65 is not a standard size. It has the same length of a 55 and is very deep. I want to be able to keep anything with worrying if I have just wasted $30 on an acro.

8. Click Here!

9. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

Well Icecap is out of business so that might make it hard to match also they dont make the PFO reflector either. Just hold on to the t5s and if you want to make the switch just wait and you will find a deal.

1 person likes this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Your fixture is good to almost 30" deep, if I remember right 65 gallon tanks are about 24" deep.

BTW 250W MH with good reflectors are good to 24".

1 person likes this.
  11. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

Can I keep any sps within those 30"?

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

what type of bulbs are you running in the TEK?