what to about dsb

Discussion in 'Sand' started by cbs3315, Mar 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

Hi all. I haven't been on here in quite some time. So today, actually yesterday I got to thinking about redoing my tank but today I started cleaning my tank up because I've neglected it for some time now. I took all my equipment out and gave it a good scrub down and ran my water test and to my surprise everything is good. :) ihave figured out that my powerheads need to be adjusted because of all the detritus all over everything so I moved them around and stirred up some nasty stuff which has settled for tonight. My question is how should I take care of the nastiness on the sand bed? It looks horrible. Using a small powerhead I was able to clean off the rock (still needs work). I understand your not suppose to disturb a dsb but it looks horrible. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

A deep sand bed, or DSB for short, can be a useful addition to a saltwater aquarium, refugium, or even a remote bin. Tho based on a remarkably simple idea, DSB discussions can become enormously complex. The purpose of this article is to offer a generalized understanding of the core concepts and specific terminology. This is by no means the final word on the DSB, nor does it advocate anything more than educating the reader, but it can also serve as a guide to a more serious investigation.

There are several potential benefits and possible drawbacks to having a DSB. Most often their purpose is for nitrate reduction, so that is this article's focus, but that is not their only purpose, nor is a DSB the only means for achieving that goal. Not everyone uses a DSB and many have tried them with poor results. Some do use a DSB and have reported good results for a decade or more. There is substantial disagreement as to why some succeed and others fail. Over the years, some general rules of thumb have evolved, but they should not be mistaken for definitive science. It is up to the reader to reach their own conclusions.

To better understand the anatomy of a deep sand bed, let us first look at a shallow sand bed, or SSB for short.

[​IMG]

In all aquariums, decomposition is largely performed by bacteria, but the process can be facilitated by the presence of a "clean up crew", or CUC for short. Detritus (waste) and other organic matter is first eaten by the CUC of crabs, stars, hermits, and snails. The smaller particulates they produce are then further broken down by copepods, other benthic organisms, and worms. The remaining dissolved organics are then converted by the "nitrifying" bacteria, from ammonia (toxic), to nitrite (less toxic), to nitrate (least toxic). All of this takes place within a layer of sand oxygenated by moving water, termed oxic, and the bacteria there require oxygen to function, termed aerobic. In a shallow sand bed this is where the process ends. The nitrate simply accumulates in the water column to be removed by ritual water change.

In a deep sand bed, there are another type of bacteria, termed anaerobic, that require a depleted oxygen environment to function. Among these are the "denitrifying" bacteria that convert toxic nitrate into nitrogen (which is mostly inert). The primary objective of a DSB is to provide a layer of very low oxygen, termed hypoxic, where bacteria can function anaerobically. The potential harm is in creating a layer completely devoid of oxygen, termed anoxic, where "reducing" bacteria can convert sulfate into hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell). This and other toxins can dangerously accumulate in a sand bed that is too deep or not properly maintained.

The prevailing wisdom is that the worms and benthic organisms are vital to maintaining a healthy DSB. In addition to cleaning the sand, it is believed their gentle agitation of the bed helps deliver nutrients to the bacteria while preventing truly anoxic conditions.

[​IMG]

The full benefits and challenges surrounding deep sand beds are still a matter of some debate, so it is important to point out that the conversation is often confused by competing terminology. Environmental scientists often borrow the term anoxic (labeled in blue) to mean extremely hypoxic, and anaerobic (labeled in blue) to mean truly anoxic.

Here are some general rules of thumb for maintaining a DSB. It should be at least four inches deep but no more than six, consisting mostly of fine grains, sometimes called "oolite" or "sugar-fine". Keep the benthic and worm populations healthy by avoiding Sand-Sifting stars, most crabs, and limiting hermits. Occasionally rejuvenate these populations with fresh liverock or true livesand from a well established aquarium, as this may be key to long term success. The sand bed should only be disrupted very gently over time. Brittle and baby stars, as well as Nassarius and Cerith snails, provide a slow and beneficial agitation of the sand, but vacuuming should be performed with great care, if performed at all. Remember, a deep sand bed is a living thing that must be kept in careful balance.

General Rules of Thumb:
    - 4" to 6"; fine-grain; do not disturb or disturb with care.
    - Helpful: Brittle & baby stars, Nassarius & Cerith snails.
    - Unhelpful: Sand-Sifting stars, most crabs, too many hermits.
    - Rejuvenate benthic and worm populations for long term success.

----------------------------------------
    (Jun,2009) Author & Illustrator: Whys. The following credits, listed in alphabetical order, are for collaborative work only and should not be assumed as endorsements of this article. Technical contributions: capn_hylinur, fsn77, jenglish, MattL, tmz, WaterKeeper. Additional peer review: adtravels, Biologist, luther1200, jasonrp104, Nanook, rishma, Sisterlimonpot, thegrun, therealfatman.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

To remove excess detritus from the surface, you can vacuum it out with a gravel-vac. Just pinch or crimp the hose to reduce the suction.

1 person likes this.
  5. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

I wondered if that would work. I kinda regret going with a dsb because of the way it looks in layers.

6. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

this is likely going to come off as a total newb question but... you can use cuc on the dsb to keep it clean?

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes a good CuC will feed on detritus, but everything that eats solid matter produces solid waste. It might be slightly smaller, but it's still there.

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

If you really dont like it, what about investing a day in the tank, buying some aragalive sand, and starting over? Treat it like moving to a new tank - a lot of folks have done that. Save as much water as you can. Keep the same live rock, same filtration, etc. Just drain your tank, pull out all the sand, rinse and scrape the tank, put in arag-alive sand and take it from there. Its kind of extreme granted, but if it will make you happier with your tank, it might be worth it. There are lots of threads on 3reef about moving tanks...this is the same idea...just a little different. Plus it is like doing a really big water change...which based on your comments about neglecting the tank for awhile...might not be a bad idea anyway. Just be prepared...it takes a while...and boy is that sand bed going to stink! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

Good idea thanks. I might see if I can talk my other half into letting get a bigger tank and really go all out. Yeah that sand is gonna be very foul smelling so I will absolutely dred that. I got so frustrated with hair algae that I said forget it and told my wife that I wanted to get rid of it and she wouldn't let me so I just gave up and just kept my fish fed took down my halides and put the t5s back up and then all the hair algae disapated. I then thought maybe I can get this tank looking good again. The only corals I have are zoas and palys and they are thriving. I guess you just need something from time to time to get the intrest back.

11. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

I have a cuc but definitely need to replenish them. Thanks