what TIMERS you guys using?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by ali1, Sep 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

What's the best bang for buck timer thats reliable out there. Setting up my 125 soon and looking for a timer for all my accessories along with my MH, T5, and moonlights. What timers are you using and how long have you used it for?

Quick search tells me that the coralife controller is crap, so I won't be going that route.

any help is truely appreciated!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I use a reefkeeper lite level 3.. it rocks my socks.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

if you can handle $200 you can get a reef angel and not only have time control over all of the items you listed (and more), but also an ATO, a wavemaker system, pH monitor/controller, temp monitor, sophisticated dosing system, LED intensity controller, constant power supply, and anything else you can possibly dream up :)

Reef Angel Controller Kit

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Hate to say it... but almost all timers suck. I would go with a RKL or something along those lines. Much more accurate and reliable.

Personally, I use Intermatic digital timers. Stupid expensive, unless they are given to you. ;D

Figured I would update with a pic. Not your standard timer. Running 1000W of halide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

dingo your killing me :)

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

k+ for the question.
    My old school timers sound like clocks!

matt

8. Click Here!

9. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

i use a rkl and it has all kinds of options for it. it can get expensive though. i have no problems with it other than i messed up the calibration on the temp probe. i am really thinking about changing to a reef angel only because of the extra possibilities are more(i like toys). rkl's are decent and somewhat affordable though. jmo

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

The considerations with timers are first, can they handle the amperage draw for the device. This is important when thinking about timers for halide bulbs. Next, how granular do you need the time appropriation? Can you deal with a minimum of 15 or 30 minutes with analog timers; or do you require the ability to set a timer for 90 seconds? If analog will do, you'll save a few bucks. If you need 90 seconds, then digital is the only option, and as mentioned above, they're pricey.

Intermatic is the industry standard for analog timers IMO. They make 3 prong units that are more generous in their ability to deliver amperage, and they make 2 prong, non-grounded timers for various other low-amperage loads. As Matt mentioned, they tick like clocks, as their element is clock-based. They are a bit bulky, too, and without careful planning; you'll wind up with just one timer occupying a 2 receptacle wall plate.

Here's the analog heavy duty timer by Intermatic.

[​IMG]

And here's the digital unit. It requires a backup battery, and costs almost twice the price of the unit above.

[​IMG]

The analog two prong units are about 8 bucks if memory serves, and the 3 prong grounded units are about 12 bucks, I think.

The next level up is controllers, and you have the most meticulous control over your devices with these items, but let's face it: you're not buying a controller soley for its ability to time things.

I posted some pics of the intermatic timers on a thread a year or two ago, if you search for it, you'll find it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point Larry. Yes - I have the 3-prong ones.

12. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang