What timer are you using?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jfannin, Feb 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

I have a timer that I just bought but it doesn't do everything that I'm wanting and need. I'm wanting a nice all in one type unit that can produce a good sun rise and sunset effect with my new tek 4 39w unit. I also added custum moon lights to the unit. I'm wanting a timer that will turn on the moon then 1/2 my tek and then the other 1/2 of the tek. Then turn off in reverse. I also need to be able to cotrol my refugi light timing as well.

So I need 4 + timer plug-in slots and also 4 + constant plug-in slots. If it had a extra plug-in or 2 it wouldn't heart.
    the unit I have know has 8 outlets. 4 constant and 4 timer. The only thing is the timer ones are setup in pairs. So if I have the first pair of outlets (2 plugs) turned on then the other 2 outlets (second pair) have to be off. Another word I can't control each out individually. But also if I have my tek lights on (tek uses 2 plugs) for just say 10 hours then the other pair of outlets are off for 10 hours and on for 14 hours. This can't be changed. Hope that makes sience. Know it could be like 12/12 or 8/16 or what ever.

Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

IMO look at a low level controller like a ReefKeeper Lite or Aquacontroller Jr. For controlling 3-4 things on separate schedules the slightly higher expense of the controller is worth it IMO. Buying 3-4 (good quality) timers is going to cost at least 60-80 and you can get the basic controllers for $100-150.
    Plus you usually get a good temperature controller to help prevent your heaters failing and cooking the tank and have the option for a nice pH monitor which is infinitely better than test kits.

Controllers are must haves if you ask me, especially if you get one you can hook up to the internet and send you alerts when your parameters go out of whack, like if a heater fails. Nothing better than that. Totally worth the investment. :)

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

+10 to what screwtape said.. get a reefkeeper lite..

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I use a ACIII Pro and love the versatility it has. Pretty much nothing it can't control.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I would look for a used reefkeeper 2. The low level controllers usually only have 4 outlets where as an RK2 will give you 8.

~Will.

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

damn im old school i use old dial timers on a power strip lol. i need to update !! but they work fine.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I use the Reefkeeper lite and its great. I have it running 3 different lights and my heater. I just placed an order today for another power strip, the sl2 for the salinity probe and ATO, and the moonlights. So next purchase will be the upgrade to the elite for 150 lol. You can't beat it tho for 100 bux it makes a great light timer and heater controller.