What the ???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kalex, Oct 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kalex

Kalex Plankton

OK tonight I am checking out my fug - as I do occasionally to see the status of all my little bugs. And I see something totally unfamiliar to me. Anybody have any idea what this could be?!?! Completely stumped. It's white but almost clear - looks and moves a bit like a armless octopus - tiny like a pod - eats the tiniest bugs in system. Name that bug!!! ;D
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Harmless flatworm eating the tiniest bugs in the system. They eat copepods by picking up that lifting their front end over a pod and then enveloping them.

This type of flatworm is non-photosynthetic so it's population will depend entirely on the population of copepods. (Some flatworms are photosynthetic and can overwhelm a system).

1 person likes this.
  4. Kalex

Kalex Plankton

Thank you! I actually saw it eat a pod. I spotted 3 in the system. How quickly do they spread? Do the get big? Is it something I need to try to remove?

Thanks again!

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No worries my friend. This type of flatworm stays small and their populations typically stay small. Just leave it be.