What the...????

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Birdlady, May 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have had problems since I set this tank up with low alk and Ca.

OK, so here is what I have used to try and compensate...

dKH builder, kalkwasser, Kent liquid calcium, Turbo calcium, ESV Bi-onic, Magnesium, Ocean's Blend 2 part (similar to ESV)

According to my test kits, (Salifert everything, except CA is seachem)

My alk this week is at 12 dKH (after adding builder for 2 days) and Calcium is 300. I cannot get my hands on a mag test so I take a sample to the LFS to check that for me.

They use LaMotte. So, with that kit you need to find the Total Hardness and subtract the CA hardness to get the Mag hardness.

Here is the problem....The test kit for total hardness (rec. value is 200-400) was over 1000 when we stopped the test, and the CA said it was over 600. Now, is this possible? I could not determine a mag number because we could not get a result from the other tests.

Also, I don't understand how a recommended total hardness is 200-400 ppm when Mag alone should be 1300 ppm, and Ca should be 450 ppm....that alone is 1750 ppm.

Am I totally confused or what????

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

It sounds like your getting some odd reading BL. Try diluting your sample (new) in half, and do it again, if you haven't tried that one yet. How old are the tests? IF you don't get the answer here, try Saliferts forum on RC. He answers quickly usually.

I really don't like the seachem CA test, I always got wack readings from it :(

With the salifert kits, are you leaving the bubble in the tip of the syringe? It really makes a difference IMO to lave it in there.

I had a heck of a time keeping my ionic balance right for years, untill I decided to got bare bottom and minimal LR. Sand beds really do suck up buffer IMO.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

OK, thanks! dilute with ro/di I assume?

I know the store just got the LaMotte kits in the last 2 weeks....(altho that doesn;t really say how old they are) Which is part of the reason I have not gotten those for myself. I understand the reagents are really only good for about 6 months...I would end p tossing half of the stuff out with my small tank.

If anyone nonreef were to read these posts about going "barebottom"...hehe
    that always makes me chuckle.... ;D

Thanks for the advice!