What the hole is it?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by surfnthreef, Jul 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surfnthreef

surfnthreef Flamingo Tongue

My Coral Beauty had what appeared to be a small scratch above its right eye a few days ago. I assumed that my emerald crab may have possibly "snipped" at him as I have seen him try to do before. However, as the days have progressed the small lesion has become a big nasty white hole above his eye that seems to get worse everyday. What is it? More importantly, what do I do now? This is my first encounter with any sort of fish disease.:cry::-X

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Hole in the Head - HITH, sometimes referred to as Head and Lateral Line Erosion - HLLE
    There are many theories out there, but no conclusive scientific evidence as to what exactly causes this disease. However, it may be attributed to poor water quality, lack of proper nutrition and/or the use of activated carbon for prolonged periods. Be sure to give your fish the best water that you can by performing frequent water changes. Give them vitamin enriched foods and change out or stop using activated carbon.

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

HLLE doesn't typically show up as a single hole but rather a series of holes along the lateral line (LLE). With out seeing a picture I can't be of much help though. Doing the above wouldn't hurt and can only really help so I give them a whirl. Some will say add some garlic to it's diet, others will say try different feeds.

Any chance of a photo or a more detailed description of the hole? What does it look like around the wound? Is there an infection the spreads beyond the wound and the hole has been following that path? Any white clumps?

How long have you had the fish?

5. surfnthreef

Wow, as a new member, I must say the support on 3reef is amazing! To answer some of the questions, the Coral Beauty is the newest addition to our tank. We have only had him about 3 weeks. We are in the process of getting a picture to post very shortly. In the mean time, I will be doing a water cleaning. Thanks for your support. We will have the picture up shortly. Just a quick side question, how often should activated carbon be switched out?

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

That really depends on the carbon type and the nutrient load of the tank. I change mine every 3 weeks as I notice I get color to my water if I don't.

7. surfnthreef

Thanks for the info Gresham. Can anybody assist in our downloading of our first picture so you can see whats on the Coral Beauty. We go to download photos and pull the picture from our computer and it tells us the download is successfull... but then we do not see the picute anywhere!$%!!! How can we find the picture in 3reef? Or is there an error?

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Shoot I'll have to leave that question (how to upload) to a more regular poster. I just recently started posting again so I've forgotten lotsa little things like that :)

10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well, how about posting it in some page and just giving the URL? lol i dont remember how to either.. try going to F.A.Q.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

upload the pic to photobucket first, then paste the direct link using the image tool

12. surfnthreef

Thanks 'Packleader', photobucket it shall be. Everybody, please stay posted... as I hope someone can identify the infection on my Coral Beauty from the picture. I did do a 15% water change today and plan to change more in the very near future. I also did a very thourough cleansing of my canister filter. Any good recommendations on how the basket should be set up on a canister filter? Does it require bio-media and/or activated carbon? I already have both of those on another filter. A picture of the fish will be available in the morning. Thanks for all your help.