What the Heck?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Nightstick, Sep 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Someone please tell me what this is and how to get rid of it? I have a huge CUC and my parameters are pretty good.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

That, my friend, is Cyano bacteria and must be delt with. A phosphate reactor is in order (if not already in use) and a little over feeding could be a source. Parameters are not the issue, nutrients are. You may not be doing anything really terrible it is just that some tanks create more nutrients than others. Are you employing a protein skimmer?

4. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I just switched a new protein skimmer, a CPR Bak Pak 2R+ so it handles a larger load but as of right now I am seeing less skim! I also tend to overfeed....

5. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

your skimmer is probably still breaking in. shorten the feedings and the light cycle and give it some time

6. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

brush it off the coral, your cuc will likely eat i where it ends up, they tend to not walk on the branches of a gorg (?) looking for a meal, especially if you have snails. For that little amount just manually clean it.

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

good luck dont wait too long