What the heck disease is this!?! New Q about using bleach

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by kcbrad, Feb 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Hmm, with tetras going down that fast, I'm putting my money on it being velvet or a nasty columnaris (which those meds would'nt have put a dent into ;p) if there were small red soars along with the white growth.

If this was one of my tanks, I would disinfect. If she doesnt want to do that, oxytetracycline or nifurpirinol based anti-biotics with the water temp set to 95F for 2-3 weeks should kill of both velvet and clumnaris.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i did fresh water tank before salt water. i found they push chemicals on you with fresh water that throws you deeper into the whole. chemicals are not good in any tank. but for some reason they push them in fresh water tanks, you would not think to even try them in your saltwater reef tank. which think about it has less problems.

to me it sounds bacterial. and throwing those chemicals in the tank is just making it worse. get the water right and stop with the chemicals, add a uv add live good bacteria.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks for all your help! After looking at endless amounts of images online, I've decided it definitely looked like velvet. I talked to her about disinfecting, and tossing, and that's the route she's going to go.

We were joking we should donate this white cloud to medical science. He's lived through high amounts of ammonia (the tank re-cycled after going all wonky while my dad was in the hospital for a long time and she didn't have time to clean it), he's lived through a fungal outbreak, and now this velvet. LOL :devil1:

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, so I've determined the disease is velvet.

She's going to disinfect everything with a bleach solution. Does anyone have any tips on doing that?

So she has plastic plants, gravel, and big pieces of rock (I think granite) in there. Can she disinfect all of that stuff with bleach? Or should she just toss some of that stuff?

Thanks for all the help!!

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would disinfect the plants and rock. Also disinfect all equipment. Toss the gravel and start over.

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks! I was thinking toss the gravel too.

I'm not sure how to disinfect, but I'm sure there are threads on here about it :)

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can make a 50/50 mix and soak for a while then rinse like crazy until the bleach smell is gone. Then soak in dechlorinator mixed per bottle instructions to be safe.