what the bazooka?...ro/di tds

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Swisswiss, Feb 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

just hooked up a TDS reader i recently got.

water going IN 107

water going out (option 1) 130!??

water going out (option 2, i.e. what i thought was the drain line all this time) 110!?!?!?

AZdesertrat help!!!!

ill take a couple pictures of how i currently set it up, worth noteing that i have low psi running throughout the membranes (les than 50) as my booster pump was KIA. i have also recently replaced all the cartridges except the DI membrane.

needless to say i feel extremely stupid if i have been feeding my tank disgustO water all this time.....

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

this however would also explain why i have a build up of this transparent snot like slime in my reservoir container and more specifically the hose that pumps the water out of the reservoir....

4. Swisswiss

right so here are the pics

Attached Files:

5. Swisswiss

and some more...

Attached Files:

6. Swisswiss

sorry the pictures didnt come out in the correct order

7. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

Umm is the clear canister your DI? if so thats the last thing your water should go through

8. Click Here!

9. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

I think you have it set up correctly but i also think you psi is too low and you need to get a bypass flush valve to rinse out your ro. I know everytime i start up mine i let it flush for 15min before i force the water throught he di resin. The tDS after the RO will start low shoot up to about 50-60 then slowly come back down to 3ppm then i turn on the di, it will also make it last longer.

10. Swisswiss

hmm will have to see if i can get my hands of bypass valve. seems my pressure reader is defective. just got a new booster pump that works (i see it "vibrating") but the gauge still barely touches 15 psi......GRRRRR!!!!!!! the unit wasnt cheap ether

also im respecting the flow direction for the booster pump

11. Swisswiss

right well seems i was able to fix the problem by combining my booster pump and a valve on my out tube (as well as changing the DI membrane) i seem to get "0" tds readings now at about 75psi....VICTORY!....somewhat

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Take a look at this diagram which shows the correct plumbing arrangement for the RO membrane housing. Note on one end it has two outlets and one is closer to the outside edge (WASTE) while the other is closer to the centerline (TREATED RO) of the housing, don't mix these two up.

http://spectrapure.com/huds/MPDW-DLX.pdf

The treated water goes to one end of the horizontal DI and the treated RO/DI comes out the other end.

Try all your TDS readings again starting with your tap water, triple rinse the meter and a clean glass you capyure the samples in with distilled water since you suspect your system has issues, then take a RO only sample from the end of the membrane housing, again triple rinse the glass and meter in distilled water then take a RO/DI sample and do a final triple rinse. What are those three numbers? If you are curious you can also take the waste TDS which should be 20% to 25% higher than your incoming tap water, if not you have issues for sure.

What is your water temperature and your water pressure? What is the exact measured waste ratio?