Urgent What the are these?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mdbostwick, Jan 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Title says it all. Noticed some polyp extension on some sps i have been hoping are turning around and noticed these little guys.
    [​IMG]
    you can see one a little more clearly in the above picture, it is almost right in the center on the bleached looking part. In the lower picture there are a bunch of them on the bleached or dead part but the picture is not too clear on it.
    [​IMG]

Any ID will help. I am hoping these are pods of some sort cleaning off dead tissue but i am afraid they are the cause of the dead tissue. I think in the top picture the coral is more bleached there because there is some polyp extension in the white part right next to it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Im sorry but I cant tell by your picture. Are these the new coral you added or existing?

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Good Morning, the item we are looking to identify, are they black bugs?

In observance of a family friendly forum we shan't use profanity, especially so early in the am. Kthanx :rolleyes:

mdbostwick likes this.
  5. mdbostwick

It is not on the frags I just got from you. The picture with one on it was one of the first frags I got from you and the one with a bunch on it I got from happycoral. So I don't think they came from your tank.

I can't tell if they are black bugs or not because I can't seem to find a good picture of black bugs that is not under a microscope. That was my first thought but can't say one way or the other. They are black gray or brown and they are so small i can't really tell what shape they are but they look somewhat elliptical.

Sorry for profane words, I got carried away and was displeased to find something crawling on my coral, especially since I have been trying to be so careful this time around about what is going in my tank. I do apologize.

6. mdbostwick

After looking at those pictures again, the top picture is about as good as I could see them, it is about the size of a pin prick.

If it is black bugs what course of action should i take to fix this? The one coral is encrusted but the other could definitely be taken out and dipped. I read something that says coralrx doesn't work so well on black bugs and that is the only item I have at this time and what I used to dip them originally.

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Im thinking that when I set up my new tank every coral I buy should be dips and treated for bugs!!

zesty and mdbostwick like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Agreed. There's not a coral I get that I don't dip. I don't take any chances, it's too easy to slip up. I tell people that have gotten corals from me, dip em. Take the extra step and dip them, I don't take any offense to people dipping my frags. I encourage it.

Reefbuilder likes this.
  10. PghSteeler

What do you dip them in?

Red bugs and monti eating nudibachs need to be treated with interceptor dont they? Or is t hat just because you cant dip your entire take and thats whats safe to dose into the actual reef tank?

How about algaes and aiptasia spores, is there a way to dip to make sure thsoe are all killed off? I did read something about a super potent mag dip for algaes but dont know much about it.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I use the bayer dip for all my frags. I used to just use an iodine based dip, but now it's bayer for everything.

If I notice algae I will dip it in a peroxide/sw mix and that usually takes care of it. Sometimes, I have to do that dip a few times.

12. PghSteeler

bayer like aspirin?? I have some iodine dip from awhile ago that I dipped some hammers in at one point when I accidently fraged a wall hammer lol