What tests do I need?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by lexdiamond20, Apr 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lexdiamond20

lexdiamond20 Astrea Snail

Ok, so my tanks been up for a little lass than a year. A few months ago I brought my first frag and became hooked. Fast forward to last night and I have my eigth piece in a 30 gal tank. My question now is what tests do I need, if any, to have these guys flourish. They all seem to be doing fine and none have died except for an incident with some nudibranches. Other than that theyre all extremely responsive as in they begin to spring to life even when the room light is on and even grab food when i spot feed. But, ive read here and on other sites people say some of their corals grow like weeds. Im thinking now i need to do testing and supplement with calcium, alk or whateve you guys suggest. Any suggestions in test kits or should I keep my setup how it is without any supplements?

BTW, I have 1 gsp, 4 different zoas, 1 button, 1 mushroom and as of last night 1 pulsing xenia. See below for other specs.

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

I test for calcium, magnesium, strontium and carbonate hardnes, salinity, PH, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia.

4. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

+1 yep

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are a good place to start.

Good luck. :)

6. lexdiamond20

Already test for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and phos. Guess I just need calcium, mag and alk. Do I really need calcium with these types of corals? Thought that was needed for hards.

7. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

rocks need calcium to. w/o it the rocks will get brittle and fall apart. Calcium is a major chem in everything in this world. But water changes will give you what you need at least.

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

+1 on the water changes, the coraline algae and soft corals should get all they need from water changes and light...

10. lexdiamond20

Thats what I wa thinking about water changes. I top off about a gallon a day.

11. lexdiamond20

Thank you. Almost wasted money on a calcium test kit last night. Coraline is forming in the tank at a steady rate. Im assuming thats a good sign of calcium.

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

???

I've not heard that before.