what test kits do i need?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by dlaclo, Apr 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

ok i am getting ready to buy my test kits... but i am unsure on which ones i will need. i know amonia nh3 nh2 ph and kh but what else will i need and what brands do yall recomend?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Calcium and magnesium. I like Salifert and Red Sea.

4. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If the tank is cycled then I'd not worry aout Ammonia or Nitrites Once they go they are gone if the tank was allowed to fully cycle. I honetly never test for either of these two I just allow the time to cycle it through

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I don't agree, Sorry

During the cycle you should measure Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Really those are the only 3 needed. After I would put more emphasis on Ca, ALK, PH, Mag.
    there are a lot of good test kits out there. Salifert, Elios, Red Sea

J

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

get a couple and let your lps do some.

HI,
    I check ALK and I run my mag at work, they are really important for preventing calcium problems, you can have a great calcium and the alk slips up and you don't notice and wham you have a precip event,your calcium , mag an some of the alk will go way down, and you have to wait a day or two for it to stop. you can tell cause everything in thehtank turns white overnight, and you may see your water fog up.. I ve never had a problem with nitrate or nitrite I have a DSB sump and one in the main tank. over kill I know but the worms keep both pretty clean.
    So for me its Alk, Mag, Ca, i let the local LPS check my phos.
    Phos is important to indicate if you have a waste problem when it goes up something is either being over fed or you need a better skimmer.
    Doug

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

In the beginning or during cycling I would test for ammonia, nitrites,ph and nitrates. I even tested these for a few months after cycle just to be safe. Before adding any corals to your tank I would start testing for calcium, alk, and magnesium. Alot of people told me not to bother testing alk or calcium for a while but when I did I found both alk and ca to be way to low and it took more than a month of adding supplements before both were stable.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Thats why my first words where IF THE TANK IS FULLY CYCLED.. The way I cycle a tank I never test for ammonias or nitrites why ? Its a waste of time and money besides what can you do about them them if they are present ? Testing is for the speedy in a hurry I want it right now or ASAP hobbyist.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Testing during the cycle could also be for people that what to know what is going on in there system. It is an excellent way to learn the nitrogen cycle of a tank. It does help for future troubleshooting and allows you to understand the relationship between Ammonia and Nitrate