What temp. is considered too hot??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sauce-n-tank, Jun 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

yeah i def. wouldnt worry about it. i just thought of another point though.....one the algae issue of being by a window. and two does it ever get above 82???

2. Click Here!

3. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

not even close. there are thousands of reef and wrecks from Jacksonville all the way down to Key West then back up to Tampa on the west coast. most being from Palm Beach to Key West. but almost the whole state is surrounded by reef.

this isn't the best map but it'll give you an idea.

[​IMG]

4. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

Sombrero's my favorite and it's only an hour and a half away.

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Higher temps over 80ºF it's a matter of the oxygen amount, it's been known the the higher the temperature is the less oxygen is by volume of water where the fish and other inhabitants are more active than those in cooler waters, which I do not consider that being an issue but setting near the window could be one, on a very hot day your tank could reach
    90ºF or better if there is no AC in the room >))))*> >)))).>

6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Despite it being 86 in certain reefs around the world, it's unnatural, and it's being caused by global warming. It's causing the destruction of our coral reefs worldwide, bleaching them entirely, bit by bit. It is normal however for temperatures to spike to mid 80's, but not for prolonged periods of time like 3 weeks. I'd set your temp at 80 tops and keep it there- don't let it get higher than 82 if you have no choice for it to be that high.

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Man I am jealous as hell!

8. Click Here!

9. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

Here's a great article on coral bleaching due to temp., talks specifically about the Keys and the Caribbean.

NOAA Magazine Online (Story 206)

everywhere i read says 30 degrees celcius (86F) is the temperature threshold for coral bleaching. I'm not suggesting to keep your tank that high, but i am suggesting if it gets that high, for a lil while you should be ok.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  10. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

my tank is running at a constant 82 for over a year and i have never had any problems

11. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

77.5...... nuff said.

12. nOOb iHACK

nOOb iHACK Astrea Snail

I would love to have my tank at 78 but with all my equipment running and being that it's summer I'm finding it very difficult. Mine has been at 82 constantly for about a year. Yesterday, I had I spike up to almost 90 degrees. I freaked out... BIG TIME! I got a clamp-on fan and it's now back to 82. I can't get it any lower though. I'm considering a chiller to keep the temp at 78 degrees.

HAPPY REEF KEEPING:)