What T5 lights would you pick? and why?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by KY_Tanked, Jun 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I have a new 90g tank and have been over thinking lights for about 2 weeks. This will be under a canopy.

I am between these 2 fixtures:

1. 48" 6x54W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs : Total watts 510. $609

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

OR

2. 48" 8x54W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs : Total watts 432. $599

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...tput_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply

From what I can find most say that the IC ballast will run forever, but I need fans on each end of the bulbs to keep them cool. I like the idea of buying 2 less bulbs every 6 to 9 months also.

In the end I wish I could just buy the TEK 6 bulb unit that would give me about 3.6 watts per gallon. Worried that will be not enough.

John

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would get the tech. Heard nothing but good about them and its more power anyway.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I've heard of Icecap ballasts burning out capacitors every now and then.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I believe ReefGeek is going to be putting a new retro kit up on their site soon, it has reflectors similar in performance and dimensions to IceCap reflectors but the kit comes with ballasts that don't overdrive the bulbs.

The problem I see with the 8x Tek kit is that it's 24" wide and your tank is only 18" wide if it's a standard 90. That is going to waste a lot of electricity with bulbs lighting the tank trim basically.

6 bulbs is enough over an 18" tank IMO. That's what I'm doing, and unless you want to keep SPS on the sand in the tank I don't think overdriving T5's is necessary on a standard 90 gallon tank.

6. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I will keep checking on the new retro. So you think the 6 bulb 324 watt is good?

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

While the fixture is that wide the SLRs only cover 16", as they are all 2" wide and butt to butt.... You will not be wasting light, BUT you will be lighting your equipment in back and the front pane of glass where no one puts corals anyway.

KY, you need to get over WPG, it is not an effective gauge by any means!!!
    I only have 3.6wpg on my 180 and am very happy with it, and if I did it again I don't think I would add anymore.
    Also lamps will last longer than 6-9 months unless you are running PC, you will easily get 12 months if not more out of the t5 lamps.

I would say six is good, 1 lamp for every 3" of tank width is a good rule.
    Also I bet you would be able to keep digis on the sand bed and a green slimer or millies on the sand dead center, if you pull the PAR I do on the sand, which you will with good lamps, you can get SPS on the sand if needed.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I think KY's looking at the Tek retro kits, at least that's what was linked, the link says the 8 bulb is 24" wide as well.

I also noticed that ReefGeek has their new reflectors out on their page but it doesn't look like they have the full retro kit packages yet.
    http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/AquaIllumination/Miro-4_Reflectors/

10. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I know that I am worried about WPG to much, but everyone has a different take on lights. Just don't want to get the 6 bulb and then later want the 8 because it is little better. On the same point I don't want to go to big for no reason.

11. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

It will be nice to see of they come out with a kit with these reflectors and a WH ballast.

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Ah, yes the Tek SLRs for retros ARE 3" wide, sorry the link didn't work for me and I assumed you wanted a Tek fixture....

I would see if you can purchase Aquactinics SLRs somewhere and get a couple WH ballasts and you will be set.
    The Advance ballasts are easier on the lamps but have had more failure issues as compared to other ballasts.
    With T5 you can easily get 6 and add two more lamps if needed likewise you can also remove two lamps, BUT why not try 6 and see if that does what you want first, save some $$ and electricity.