what substrate do you use?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Gexx, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

im about to go shopping for my 10 gallon planted tank, and would like to know what substrate you all use with your planted tanks. im having a tough time trying to figure out which substrate is the best.

i am thinking about just going with small river rocks...

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I use Aquariumplants.com's substrate

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

I bought some gravel to use in mine. I think with having fish inthe tank ill be ok without fertilizers. Also, im on well water so could i use a little bit of that to help get some iron back in the tank?

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

6. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've had pretty good success with the eco complete...I've also heard good things about the aquariumplants.com stuff too.

7. chek

chek Astrea Snail

You know, Ive ran many FW setups and Ive gone with everything from potting soil caps to sand and tons more.

My favorites were definitely the Azoo plant substrate, its basically compacted spheres of an ash soil, very lightweight so it doesn't compact too heavily which allows roots to grow pretty decently. Its nice, not too many complaints other than price.

My second favorite would definitely be a local creek on my property that I can collect a very fine sand-gravel and small amounts of soil and organics. Ive used this stuff for a long time and It has a very attractive look because its basically like a sand but very rich for plant growth. Of course, always dry it beforehand! I usually strain some of the larger particulates and organics out of the silt of also.
    [​IMG]

Thats one of my old nano's that was running an azoo substrate. ;D