What SPS to buy tomorrow.. Opinions Please!!!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by bama, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Hey you 3reef coral SPS heads! My LFS in birmingham just got a nice shipment of corals in today and Im going in first thing to pick out some new corals for my pride and joy.. All my levels are excellent, I just changed the water, and Im ready to throw down a good $400 on corals(for a 30 gal, thats a lot)!!

So in your opinion, what would you buy if you were in my shoes?? please let me know(k+ for answers)

Oh, and dont fret 3reefers, I will post tons of pics of my new babies when they are in the new home..

have a good one!
    ;D

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Personally, my favorite SPS is a Montipora capricornis... :) least I believe it's an SPS... Im not to big into SPS, cause my lighting limits me to not really having it. If I could I would that though... :) Purple is my favorite.

1 person likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Buy what you like, take a look around and see what they. Don't feel like you need to spend all your money. It's really fun and rewarding to collect and obtain corals that you really want. You don't want your tank filled up and all your money gone, then seeing a coral you really want later on.

1 person likes this.
  5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's a tough question. I wouldn't run in there and spend $400 though.
    Don't buy anything unless you see something you really love.
    Most of my best SPS corals come from other peoples tanks in the area.

1 person likes this.
  6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

i love montis and i LOVE the real "hairy" sps, the branch ones that arent fuzzy or hairy dont do anything for me

1 person likes this.
  7. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Birdsnest, monti caps, digis, stylophora, pocillapora, found some not so common ones to.
    Acro's (a bit more challenging). validas, prostrata's, stags,. Theres sooo many different types.

You wanna look for color and the more "uncommon" pieces. IME ive found that I find great sps in frags. Really nice colonies are hard to come by. and if so they are too pricey for my blood when I can buy a frag and have the same thing in a year or two.

I find that blue and green seems the most common in sps. Reds, pinks, purples are always nice.

stay away from the brown ones ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Ewww hairy...
    That's all I'm gonna say.:goofy:

1 person likes this.
  10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I totally agree with guitar man! Only get it if you fall in love with it...

I'm more of a lps type of guy, but I do have a liking for some nice montis or the occasional chalice ;)

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

stylos and poccis are some of my favorites right now. I am also a huge fan of pearl acros.

1 person likes this.
  12. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I would say do a search to look at different sps corals, then if you see something that you really like you may get lucky and he will have one. I personally like the different blue and purple sps corals out there. I am hoping to pick some up of my own this weekend at a frag swap south of me. What about ordering online? That way you can spend some time looking for what you really like? And I would agree with not spending all the money on corals. If you dont already have one maybe look into something like a refractometer or other piece of equipment that would be nice to have.

1 person likes this.