What SPS should I start with?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Jgut3, Apr 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

So I wanna start sps but im unsure of which to start with. Id like to get some less difficult sps. Ive been reading up the last week on sps. It seem that millipora and acro what i need. I wanna know what you guys think about it though. Ive been reefing since sept with lps and zoas. I didnt wanna go into soft coral really. All my test on the mark and stable. My calcium does get low but i dose it. I have been getting great coraline algae growth. If your wondering tank is a 55g, 4x54w t5 ho, 2 korala 750 evo, 3 fish, dsb, skimmer, running carbon and phos remover. If someone has some extra frags they wanna show me feel free and tell me your price.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I would suggest starting with montis. The monti digis and monti caps are very easy to care for as well as forgiving.

4. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Ok thanks for the quick response. Im excited/worried sps is a reefing standard. Haha
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

6. DBarsotti

DBarsotti Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'd say Montis also, although there a quite a few acros that can take a beating. Find some Healthy looking/cheap Acro frags and try them out.

My word of advice is, keep it simple and keep it stable and they should do great.

7. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Me too, Montiporas are by far the easies SPS corals to keep.
    The monti caps grow at an insane rate and so do the digitas.

8. Click Here!

9. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

Birdsnest and Monti Caps

10. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Thanks guys one more thing. What about a bali green slimer? There is a frag for $10 get it or stay away until I have some more sps reefing under my belt.

11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Green Slimer are pretty hardy. I started with a Slimer and some Monti caps. The Slimer is a little more sensitive than the Montis. For the price I would get the Green Slimer. The Slimer will be a good indicator of how well you can keep sps and if something happens to the frag you're only out ten bucks.

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

+1

all good advice here... I second that less expensive frags will be best to test the waters, so to speak...

you hadn't mentioned it, but you'll want to make sure your nitrates are in check... it's best to be as close to zero as possible.