What size sump/refuge do I need?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Karen, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

I have been looking around on here to see what size sump/refuge people have. I have a 150 gallon tank and would like to build my own sump or refuge or both, but I have no idea what size it should be. Everyone says about it being big enough to hold the water if a power failure happens. But, if you have this size tank, please let me know what you have on yours, or if you know what size I should have. I would really appreciate it!! I am also looking to buy the aquarium. I have looked at walmarts web site, but I only found a 10 gallon aquarium, all the rest are package deals. So, if you know of a place to get them cheap or have one you want to sell, let me know please... THanks!!:kiss:

2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

if you were closer i have a 55 i want to get rid of, sorry but good luck in your endever

4. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I have a 125 that i am currently setting up..very slowly!! I will be using a 55 plexiglass for the fuge ( just got off craigslist ) and 55 or maybe larger for the sump ( looking at another 125 tank on CL for 100.00 and am thinking of going that route...mostly for the additional room ( QT tank, frag room, extra rock etc ) .....depends on the room you have available...I'm plumping into the garage so room is not an issue for me.

Check out Craiglist for the tanks....always a great deal...just be patience and one will appear!

5. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

Big enough to handle the downflow when the return pump is off is the answer, but this amount of water is different for every system. It depends on where the siphon breaks on your return nozzle, and how much water that will draw down. How high up or down that nozzle is in the tank, did you drill a hole in it to cause a siphon break, there are variables in your system we can't know.

The other answer is as big as you can fit. More water means a more stable system. The bigger a refugium the better as well. My system us a 40 gallon breeder for the main tank and a second 40 gallon breeder for the sump/refugium. I have an HOB skimmer so the sump is almost entirely a fuge and remote DSB. 70 gallons total in the system. Yes, the fuge is oversized, but 40 breeders are cheap - both tanks and stand were just about 200 total.

1 person likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

Thanks any way.. I do have a 55 gallon tank, but I didn't think I needed one that big, plus that will never fit under my 150. My house is kind of small any way. I am hoping to be buying a bigger one this year too.. lol

7. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

Space is a BIG issue for me right now. I don't have much of it yet. Working on buying a bigger house and then I can have more room for my Tanks. Thanks for all your input!!

8. Click Here!

9. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

10. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I run a 20g long under my 90. You could probably fit a 30g under there (36x12x17).

12. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Try maybe a 30-40g rubbermaid container. They come in some pretty variable shapes and sizes that might suit your needs a little better than a tank.