What size heatsink?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Sep 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I am buying my 36 DIY LED kit from aquastyle online tomorrow and I need to know what size heat sink to get. My tank is a 40 acrylic (36" Long x 15" Deep x 16" High). What spacing of the LED's and how should i orient them? The color combination will either be 24 royal blues and 12 whites, or 22 royal blues and 2 UV and 12 whites.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

BTW im buying two fans to cool the heat sink also.

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Does your tank have a brace across the top in the middle?

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'd do 6"x30"

Space them evenly, alternate the blues/whites.

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yea it does have a center brace. By the way the leds that im buying are bridgelux. I said i wanted to custom order so i would have 24 royal blues and 12 whites. He said it might be too bkue since he says a 1:1 ratio (18 royal blues and 18 whites) is equivalent to 20k. What do you all think.

1 more random question, i was thinking about trading two if the royal blues for two uv's, is it worth it and do i need a seperate driver for those?

Thx everyone!!! Orderig today...

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

If you use one long heatsink, just be sure to leave a space where the center brace is you don't need and LED directly above it to cause a shadow and be wasted.

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Sounds good on the heat sink size.

Anyone got opinions on my other questions...

"bump"

8. Click Here!

9. pwreef

pwreef Astrea Snail

I have the kit from aquastyle. My tank is 36x18 I went with the two largest heatsinks he sells. IMHO UV are useless. 2 of my 54 are UV. They barely produce any light. You will need like 20 of them to see it. I have 1:1 ratio, but they are dimmable so I can adjust a little. Personally I don't like the color of the whites. They make the tank look frosty. I want to try the neutral whites or the warm. Also in retrospect I am not totally sure that these are Bridgelux. Bridgelux does not show this kind of packaging on their website.

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Hmm. I have heard great things about this company, both customer service and quality materials. i knew the uv barely produced light. I figured why not, i heard he ships a few extra leds anyways so if i dont like the 2 i got, i can replace them with others. I chose not to buy the heatsinks because the heatsinks/shipping alone for the heatsinks would run me $70 at least. I got 20 royal blues, 14 whites, and 2 uvs. Going to try to find some heatsinks locally. But i put my order in yesterday so ill post pics when i get it.