What should I expect

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by zubinmajor, Feb 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zubinmajor

zubinmajor Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just wanted to know when I can expect to see some good type of growth (polyps, coralline algae etc) on my LR. The rock has been in almost two weeks and I was just curious to know what I should be expecting in the next couple of weeks.

Would appreciate if someone could give me brief on each stage of development of the tank.I am reading all varied opinions and so a bit confused.:-[

Thanks a ton!
    Zubin

2. Click Here!

3. zubinmajor

Someone please advice...

I am still awaiting a response..I know these may sound really basic and silly questions for all of you who are seasoned aquarists but for a beginner like me, I could do with some tips and help from you.

1 person likes this.
  4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Nitrogen Cycle

Be very patient. It could take a few months to see coralline. Good growth at this point would be "the ugly brown algae". With other ugly algae following. Let your tank cycle, it's one of the most important parts of the establishing process. Polyps will only sprout if introduced and spread under good conditions. Unless, one snuck in on your live rock. There is life on your LR right now. Expect to stare at your tank daily and wait for something new to pop up. Now is the perfect planning stage. Plan your stocking wishes and research. It'll benefit you in the long run and save you money. SHORT TERM PAIN LONG TERM GAIN.

1 person likes this.
  5. zubinmajor

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond. Truly appreciate it! Karma to you.

6. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Your sand is full of copepods. Wanna see them? do this: lighty stir your sand in one spot against your aquarium glass, when the sand settles, look closely and you'll notice very tiny movement on the sand, it's the copepods, they're the size of salt grains or smaller...you have to truly stare at the sand lol. Copepods are a good sign.

As for the coraline, as far as I know, it can take a few months, a year, it all depends on your trace elements. You should test for Calcium and Alk. see what the levels are. I use Salifert, a bit expensive, but very easy to read. Remember to do weekly water changes, about 10% to renew trace elements that have been used up and/or taken out by your skimmer, etc. I suggest you try IO Reef Crystals, this sand mix has extra amounts of trace elements. As metioned above, you'll start to notice the "brown algae" you'll see it on you live sand, rocks, glass, this is a NORMAL occurence in your newly stablished aquarium. Make sure you use purified water, preferably RO/DI, if not, RO only is ok too. Also, make sure you have good water flow. A couple of Maxi Jets 900's with the upgrade kit by Algae Free will give you some serious water flow.

Remember...Take it easy, wait and don't rush things. Hope this helps.

7. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Your tank will ultimately go through many changes, some ugly, while other times incredible! Initially, your tank will go through some ugly times with the growth of ugly nuisance microalgae and cyanobacteria.
    Through time, most of this will disappear however, other forms will replace initial forms of microalgae but can be kept under control with water changes, decreased feeding(low nutrients in water), proper bulb kelvin(stay away from bulbs with alot of red end spectrum!), efficient filtration, good water flow, carbon and macroalgae growth, not to mention coralline growth as well.
    A product called "Purple Up" is ideal in helping to grow coralline algae, though for it to work you will have to have some coralline growth initially in your tank!
    If and when you decide to add corals to your tank, depending on the varying factors, you could have a very impressive tank in short time as your corals grow and reproduce and spread throughout your tank with a myriad of color, movement, textures and variety to really compliment your tank!
    Good luck!

10. zubinmajor

karma to you buddy..

11. zubinmajor

thanks a lot reefer...karma to you.can you put me on to someone who can send stuff on order to india for my tank..?we hardly get good stuff here..and if we do,its super expensive...

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale