What should I dose?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Brennan, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I have a 60g tank and a 20g fuge, I currently have some acans, a torch, zoas, and a plate coral. I plan on having more LPS, a few softies, and SPS after a long time. What should I dose right now? I have Lugol's solution and I dose that every week (2 drops) what else would help?

2. Click Here!

3. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

have you checked your calcium and DKH levels? If they stay constant with water changes you might not need to dose.

4. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I don't have a calcium test, I figured I would get one once I got more coral. my Alk is 10, phosphate 0, nitrate 0, and ph 7.8-8.0

5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I would test Calcium to see where it's at before doing anything. A dkh of 10 is pretty good. If your Calcium is up, than there's no need to dose.

6. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Ok sounds good, once I do get more coral and need to dose, what product do you recommend? My LFS has a product called Calcion and others for different elements ie. Magnesion and Strontion

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you do not have a lot of coralline, clams or a lot of sps, routine water changes will replenish the ca and mg and trace elements like iodine and strontium. I would not dose either iodine or strontium anyway. As the tank ages and the stoney corals get larger there maybe a need for supplemental ca/buffer/mg.

8. Click Here!

9. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I would test you calcium and MG. If you want your corals to grow these parapaters are nesicary for building your corals skeleton formation. A well balanced Aquarium with not only keep your corals alive but help them grow quicker.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

IMO I wouldn't dose anything until you get a confirmed tests done. Also, I would take advertised levels of CAL & MG in salts don't mind the pun, take it like a grain of salt. I'm yet to see those advertised levels to be correct.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

A 2 part like B Ionic is easy to use. A few people use BRS 2 part. I use a Kalkwasser drip, Kalk is a little more DIY.

Since both Calcium and Alkalinity are depleted at the same time. It's a good idea to dose with a balanced additive.

Don't dose anything you can't test for :). Get a Magnesium test kit if you can. I wouldn't worry about testing/dosing anything besides Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium.

1 person likes this.
  12. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Ok, I won't dose anything else until I get the proper test kit. Does everyone agree that I shouldn't dose Iodine?