What should I Do?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Rarend99, May 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rarend99

Rarend99 Coral Banded Shrimp

Long story short I think my current 75 gallon has ich, my blue tang died from it a couple months ago and I gave it a month before adding a brown tang and he did great for a few weeks but since has died from ich also. I am upgrading to a 100 gallon rimless and don't want to bring the ich, the problem is I cannot dose the tank with copper because it has LPS and SPs in it.

Strange twist, my clowns never got Ich, they've been healthy as can be for 6 months

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Tangs are notorious for developing ich. I would suggest a QT for treatment next time. That way you don't have to treat your entire tank.

4. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Set up a QT and treat the fish with ich in it. Then dip them in clean water before adding to your DT. This way no harmful elements from the medicine will ever make it to your DT. I've done this in the past and it works well.

5. Rarend99

That still doesn't solve the problem of the ich living in the DT, is there a way to make sure it doesn't come to the next tank when I transfer?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Your options are:

1.Move all fish into QT for 2 months and treat for ich either with copper or hyposalinity but never both at the same time.
    2. All sand and rock either has to be dry at time of transfer, or tank has to be left fallow for two months prior to transfer, or treat display with hyposalinity and remove all corals and leave them into a separate tank fallow for 2 months.

Basically if you move current fish, any sand or rock that is in the display now to the new tank you run the risk of transferring the parasite. If it's wet or moist the risk of transfer increases.

If you want an ich free display you will have to observe strict quarantine from here on out.

Or you can feed a good diet, reduce stress as much as possible and deal with the occasional outbreak.

7. Rarend99

Hmm it seems like I have alot of options, when you say leave tank in fallow for two months what does that mean exactly?

8. Click Here!

9. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

it means no livestock in there, so the ich dies out

10. Rarend99

Even the clowns? They've never seem to get it

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The parasite is present to some degree in the gills of all your fish.

There are many good threads in Disease section of this forum regarding the parasite.

You can not treat or deal with Marine Ich until you understand the parasite's life stages.

Beware of all the myths and false hoods regarding ich. If you read that you can add such and such a product, that it's reef safe and this product will effectively treat the parasite BEWARE. There is no shortcut currently available that will eradicate the parasite that you can add to a display tank with corals and sensitive inverts.

These two links should be of assist:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/diseases/ich-101-noob-noob-128391.html
    Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

They may not show symptoms. QT everything. It's really the best and only method to control it in your system, new or old.

If a fish breaks out in the display, pull him and treat with copper.