What should I do with this Chalice?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TravisVT, Sep 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I got this piece of rock about 2.5 weeks ago, it came with the hammer and the chalice. The chalice has started turning brown, does this mean it is dying? Should I remove it or will it come back? The first week it was on the bottom of the tank, after that i moved it to its current position (see pic below). Also ever since i moved it to where it is now, it seems that the hammer has not opened up as much as it did before, is there any chance the chalice is releasing something that is upsetting the hammer?

Parameters
    amm/nit 0
    nitrate 10
    calcium 430
    alk 9
    sg 1.24
    temp 79.5
    ph 8
    phos 0

Led lights

Thanks for any help and advice

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like you cooked that Chalice and possibly the Euphyllia.

Moving it up after one week is way too soon, you many even not have wanted to move it up.

If you're going to have a chance at saving it I would move it down to an almost shaded area.

What brand of LED's are those, can you dim them?

4. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Lights are aquatic life 1w led - unfortunately they do not dim
    I will try to move the chalice to a shady area to see if it will come back.
    I have other hammers on the same level that are doing great, should I also move the hammer or will it adjust better them the chalice?

Thanks Corailline!

5. Corailline

1 watt hmmm.

I would give the Euphyllia another day or two but if it declines I would try different placement.

Is it possible sweeper tentacles are reaching the Chalice? I would still move it down though.

6. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

The euphyllia is doing better then it looks in the picture. The heads are just not opening out as much as i would like them to. I don't think a sweeper tentacle from the euphyllia could reach the chalice but maybe from the stretching nem to the right?

7. Corailline

The would seem like a real possibility. I had a Monitpora that looked very similar to your Chalice that was getting brushed by my Anemone occasionally. That fixture would probably only cook a coral if the coral originated from a very low light intensity tank, which I guess is possible. Moving the Chalice at this point seems like a good intervention.

8. Click Here!

9. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Here is a FTS - The color of the tank and corals never show up well at all with my camera phone :( - The other corals on this same height level are doing great, but they have been in the tank for about a year now.

Attached Files:

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Not just lighting but flow appears to be affecting your chalice as well seeing the edges receding like that is most likely from too much flow. Low light is crucial for some chalices.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+2 to keeping your Chalice shaded. Some do not need very much light at all.