What should I be dosing???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Regf, Apr 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Im a bit confused as to what I should be dosing into my 75 tank, at the moment I have some LPS but eventually want some SPS as well, currently im only dosing it with calcium, thats all. Ive heard of iodine and alk dosing, I tested my ALK today and I was in the "Normal" level, so would I still need to buy something to dose it? Same with the iodine, how would I measure the iodine levels in my tank? Those are the two most ive heard, what do you guys usually dose your tanks with and which brand do you favour?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Larry

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am not an advocate of dosing iodine, so I can not recommend that. I have dosed it, Lugols, but it did not make a noticeable difference to me. After reading how easy it's to over dose your systems with iodine and some of the risk, it just did not seem worth it in the long for me personally.

If your alk is good, than I see not reason do add a buffer either.

There are a couple 2 part products. I use Kent Parts A/B. I do add magnesium when appropriate as well.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You shouldn't ever need to worry about dosing iodine. Regular water changes will maintain those levels. And actually if you don't have any corals or a huge explosion of coralline algae you don't need to dose anything as w/c's will take care of it all.

5. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Oh okay! Makes sense, thankyou! :)

6. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

The iodine makes sense, what brand of magnesium test do you use? Im currently using the Red Sea line, and I dont like it as much

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I use Kent tech Magnesium.

Part A does include some strontium and magnesium.

What salt are you using? I ask because I used to use IO exclusively for decades, always ran a little low on the mag. I changed to Reef Crystals and saw a significant change in my magnesium level, I only dose it now if the magnesium falls below 1350 between water changes.

8. Click Here!

9. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Im also using reefcrystal salt, so im assuming ill most likely be dosing mag as well?

10. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm