what should i be dosing for?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Gexx, Nov 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i have a kenya tree, frogspawn, clam, and ricordea mushrooms in my tank. what should i be dosing for? if you could please list the products name too. just a little confused.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Personally and professionally I would say at this point don't dose anything.. There really isn't a need to. Even with the frogspawn the Ca and alk consumption will be made up with water changes.

Just test kH and Ca to make sure they aren't all out of whack.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would check your calcium and alkalinity, as Dr Frag mentioned above. Your clam will be your biggest consumer of these, followed by your frogspawn. Given that your tank is only 29 gallons, you may start running a bit low. So I'd just pick up a calcium test and an alkalinity test, and if you start running low, either do a water change or dose these.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Oops.. Must have read too fast didn't even see the clam..

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

should i just do trace elements for right now. or do i even have to do that?

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

folks are stabbing in the dark until you provide some more details ;)

How often do you do water changes and what salt mix do you use?

What are your current params and how stable are they over time?

8. Click Here!

9. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i dont do water changes often but when i do i use instant ocean salt mix.
    my current params arent perfect but im working without a cleanup crew, and im going to get mangroves and chaeto from reefcleaners.

10. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok, the instant ocean brand of salt is low on calcium, and may not be up to par for your maxima clam. You obviously want to keep your water parameters normal - although some nitrates are ok (actually clams thrive on low levels of nitrites rather than zero).

But, as I said above, I would purchase test kits for calcium and alkalinity, and I am adding magnesium to the list. You want to keep your calcium above 400, your magnesium between 1350-1500, and alkalinity around 8-10 (or 3-4 mEq/L). I would dose calcium, magnesium and alkalinity to maintain these parameters.

But I would recommend NOT to just dose trace elements blindly without first testing the water. You are likely to cause more harm than good that way.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would just do regular water changes to take care of the trace elements monitor your Ca, Mg and alk. Personally, I have a bunch of LPS and softies and one clam. I keep my Ca around 460, my Mg around 1500 and my dKh around 12. I wouldn't bother with anything else. Water changes and those. If you decide that iodine is something you want to do.....be very careful. People have offed their systems by misdosing iodine. I have never added iodine to my system and it's doing just fine............