what sand would you use?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by cosmo, Jun 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

OK, upgrading to a new 90g. What sand would you use if you could do it again?

Not a fan of Marco per say but its kinda ok

reading good things about tropic eden reef flakes?

no sensitive critter issues, rather mid/high flow tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

Well...here I am in another thread with you...lol acrually been wondering this myself as all my sand for the current 70 was bought from the LFS or came from my buddy's 29. and I must say, i hate it. Tons of larger size rocks/pebbles, can't wait to have a nice fine grade sand bed. So let's hear it folks, what kind of sand and what grade did you use? And would you do it different?

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i have a 60-40 mix of argonite medium and sugar. It doesn't blow around much with the larger pieces to steady it and it give some added texture to my sandbed. In the future i might not deal with the super fine, but then again if i do another tank i will probably do the same, its a neat look.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I would go with larger grain sand than the one I have at present
    flow has been an issue, for me, with a gradual moving of the sand bed away from the front and being pushed very slowly over time to the sides and then to the back of the rockwork

I used 1.5 - 2 mm grain size
    so would certainly go larger than that if I was starting again

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thats kinda what marco sand is, a mix of superfine with coarse, but if i disturb it at all it kicks up all sorts of stuff, but i do like the look

yeah those tropic eden reef flakes are 2-3 mm grain size, but a bit pricey

I think i like the bigger grain, just trying to find a good deal online for a good sand.

Thanks for the input so far;)

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Bustopher

Bustopher Skunk Shrimp

I have used Fiji Pink in the past. I love the look of it but it's way to easy to stir it up into a sandstorm.
    A fellow reefer was extolling how much he liked tropic eden reef flakes. Haven't seen them past the box.

I need sand for my 40b

Hum, I wonder if I can get my own sand. Time to whip out the regulation book and scuba equipment...

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

beach sand seems iffy from what I've read, a lot of contaminants, the surf is natures protein skimmer.

reefrocks has a deal where you buy 25 lbs of rock for $2 a pound shipped ya get 40 lbs of sand for $15 shipped, and I've yet to hear a negative about their sand. pre rinsed which is NICE, especially when you're gonna transfer a reef

11. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah i don't really need the rock, but i guess it can go in my new sump and a bit in my new tank. I really like their honesty on the site and ease of use. just wish reef cleaners would get sand. It'd be 1 stop shopping! wink wink John!;)