What rock would you recommend with my set up?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by EasyMac, Dec 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

Whats going on everyone?

I attached a picture of my rock set up in my 55 gal saltwater tank, and I am not fully satisfied with it. I currently have Live Fiji Rock and to me it seems a little dull. I want to go higher, and have more variety. I am just getting into corals, and I would like to have more coral placement room. I feel like my rocks are just too big. I am willing to sculpt and pretty much do anything to have the look of my liking.

I wanted to know what are some good rock you guys might recommend? I have enough pounds of live rock in my tank already, so I am going for looks. It doesn't necessarily have to be "live" rock. Also where can I purchase them from? What are some trusted sites you might recommend?

I was thinking of something like this?
    http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?p...ategory_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

Thanks in advance! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I just ordered that reef cleaner florida rock and and what I got didn't it didn't look like the pic in that link you posted. Looked more like the 50# box pic or the caribbean shown. Sucks because that's my favorite rock and I already had 50# I was trying to match. I'm going to try bulk reef supply. The eco rock looks similar to what I'm trying to match. Here is what the reef cleaners rock looks like that I just received.

[​IMG]

4. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

Oh wow that really sucks. Have you tried contacting them?

5. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

I believe vtecintegra bought Florida live rock and EasyMac bought Fiji live rock. Fiji seems to be more difficult to find and more expensive. I just bought 50 lbs of the Florida live rock for my new tank but I also put 15 lbs of cured live rock in the tank as well. Hopefully the cured live rock will speed up the cycle and seed the Florida rock. You can always take a chisel to it if you want smaller pieces.

6. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

Quote: Oh wow that really sucks. Have you tried contacting them?

Yeap, the offer to return the rock was made, but shipping would probably be a lot. Trying to sell it local. It's great rock also, just not the same type as in the pic.

7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I got mine from Marcorocks and I have no complaints.

8. Click Here!

9. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

10. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

If I remember correctly. It is dry rock from a quarrie and they wash/soak it down to clean it and dry it back out.

11. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

12. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

Dry rock would grow coraline on it normally correct? It would look similar to what grows on live rock normally?