What order for chemical corrections?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Nykademus, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nykademus

Nykademus Flamingo Tongue

Hello again :)

So I have been researching how to maintain water chemistry a bit better since my tank now has more demand than what normal water changes can provide for.

The bad part is that my Ca and Alk levels are pretty depleted and I am sure that Mg is going to be low (picking up a test kit tomorrow) also, since its never been dosed.

The question is, which chemical do I need to bring up first? Mg, so that the others are more stable? Can I just set up 3 slow drips and test ever couple of days?

I am planning on using pickling lime for Ca, Epsom salt for Mg, and baking soda/borax for Alk. Can these all be dosed together via slow drips?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You have to dose the kalkwasser via drip so I'd start with that first. Run that drip overnight then in the morning, toss in some magnesium. A few hours after that, toss in your buffer. Then test and repeat if necessary :)

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I use b - ionic it buffs alk and calc for mg just do whatever others here say ive never had an issue with it since the LFS doses it in the water i buy