What nano to get?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by TravisVT, Sep 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I will be breaking down my 90 gallon in the near future but cant part with my mated davinci clowns or my fire shrimp. I do have 65 up and running but they would not make it in that tank so I am looking to get a nano! I don't know much about the nano world but am familiar with maintaining saltwater tanks. It looks like the big three nano's out there are the nuvo 16, biocube 14 and jbj nano 12. Does anybody have some suggestions or personal experience with these? Any info would be great!
    Thanks,

Travis

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I have run a biocube, not the others. I really liked my biocube.

4. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Thanks VA. Did you need to do any upgrades on it or was it plug and play?

5. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

I have the nuvo 16. Used to have a bio cube. I prefer the nuvo more just for the sleekness of a rimless.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You're actually pretty safe with all of them, Nuvo, JBJ, Bio-Cube. I like the JBJ because of the curved glass corners and rimless look, JBJ pulls that off the best IMO. There are a ton of Nano types but you want AIO so I will leave off Mr.Aquaria......

For upgrades, switching out the stock back pumps is beneficial, I recommend it. It's also called an MJ 1200/295 gph versus 265 with stock.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Cobalt_A...rheads-Cobalt_Aquatics-3C00057-FIPHFF-vi.html

Most upgrade to a media basket, I see no need to.

7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

You're pretty safe with any of the choices. Pros and cons to all tanks imo plus their is personal preference. I like biocubes, something about them I always liked but I truly love the rimless look, its very sleek looking to me. Lighting is important so depending on what you are planning on keeping in the tank, the stock lighting that comes with the tank may make your choice easier.

I have a nuvo 10g and I like it but there are a few things I changed after doing research because I experienced the same things I read about online and it annoyed me during set up so I fixed the issues then.

1. Upgraded pump to mj600, original pump was 70gph and the flow was pretty sad. Most do this at one point or another. For a 16g I would say mj900 and mj1200 for 20g.

2. I removed the flare nozzle and upgraded to the IM spin stream nozzle. I didn't want a powerhead in the dt. The flow is awesome now. The upgraded pump is recommended to use the spin stream.

3. I did upgrade the media basket. The original is made of very thin plastic with clips to open the back to change media. The design causes water to pool rather than flow. I almost broke the basket its that thin and the clips was the dumbest design for a salt water system. You can barely slide open it to begin with let alone when calcium/salt/or algae develope.

The new basket is solid acrylic, has large holes for water flow, and a glass back that slides out to remove the media bags.

Another thing I do like about the IM's is that you can remove the black coating on the back and use a chamber as a fuge. They now have lighting available for it.

I have never used the other brands only standard rimmed tanks so I am not aware of any pros and cons

8. Click Here!

9. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Thank you all for the replies. I am leaning towards the IM nuvo 20 as of now. I like the cubes but also like the little extra volume the 20 gives.

Piano - what lighting do you have on your 10? Is it the fusion 10? I looks like they now come with an 18W led skyye light which should be plenty as I don't plan on doing difficult corals.

10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Thats the light I have on mine.