What LED?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by chelonianraces, Oct 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelonianraces

chelonianraces Flamingo Tongue

Hi all,

i have a 5 gallon nano reef setup and is in day 7th of cycling, ammonia i think is at it's highest spike and now is ready to go down, i have chosen a nano reef because of my budget, space and mostly taste so no talking about that topic anymore.

Although i have my tank setup i didn't figure out what lighting to use!, my main plan was to keep some softies with my current coralife mini 20 watt 50/50 bulb but now i'm thinking of keeping LPS too so decided to upgrade into the Current usa nova extreme 2x18w 18'' t5 fixture.

i would get that fixture but my question is would i be able to keep SPS if i got the Currnet Truelumen pro LED strips? how are they different to any other cheap led strips like the ones used for cars? how many strips would you think is capable of growing SPS along with softies and LPS over a 5 gallon tank?

i also thought about getting the nova extreme with some blue cheap led strips, would that be a good start or do i need some expensive aquarium made strips like ecoxotic and truelumen? to keep SPS? (i will probably keep SPS when the tank is atleast 6 months old), and i don't believe MH are the only light capable of growing SPS, many have had awesome growth and colorations under LEDs.

PS. the tank is a marineland eclipse corner 5 gallon system with some mod in the hood.

also, please go smooth on me, i'm just like any regular newbie that pops everyday in this forum,, Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Did you mod the hood in the tank yourself? If so, I would DIY your own LED fixture into it. Then you'd be able to customize it to exactly what you would need.

4. chelonianraces

Yes that is what i'm upto, but unfortunately with my HOB refugium mod AC i can't have it on the tank, i will need atleast have a 5'' stand to hold the hood upward.

but that's not my case, i know i can have whatever lighting DIYed into my hood but what i need to know is the lighting it self, i have many options and as i said in the thread...

however if you're telling me i can have only LEDs what should i use? Ecoxotic/truelumen? would this do the job
    Amazon.com: 4 Pcs 30cm Car Truck Flexible Waterproof LED Light Strip Blue: Electronics

my main plan was to get the nova extreme and have those LEDs in them but that was before i saw the ecoxotic and truelumens led strips, they have good prices but not when you have to get 3-5 of them, so how many truelumen strips would i need over a 5 gallon to keep softies, LPS, and some hardy lower lighting need monti's and acro's?

5. chelonianraces

6. chelonianraces

7. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

No I am not saying to only use LEDs you were asking questions about LEDs that is what I answered. If it were me I would do a T5 setup, like the 18" one you were looking at or DIY a T5 fixture yourself. But that is becuase I personally do not believe in a LED fixture yet.

8. Click Here!

9. chelonianraces

I'm going to use the t5 anyways, but i do want additional LEDs, i've seen tanks with a combination of t5s and blue LEDs they look perfect.

can i use LEDs sold for car decorations for the tank? strips such as truelumen and ecoxotic are rather expensive and IMO the price is not worth just a 10'' 4 LED light, are they any different from the regular blue led strips? i'm guessing being only additional lights they don't need to be any fancy as most corals will benefit from the t5 and LEDs just for better viewing and a shade of darker deeper blue, the strips i am looking to buy comes in a pack of x4 30cm LEDs so i can also have a couple or one for moonlights.

unfortunately the marineland eclipse corner hood is difficult to make as a t5 fixture due to it's corner shape but i really like the nova extreme design so i will get that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

If you are wanting them for just coloration then yes. But, if you are wanting to know if they would work in your tank as a blue light, such actinic lights, then I would say no for growing corals. The best way to find out would be contact the seller and find out what type of LEDs are actually being used and what there spread and lens angle is.

11. chelonianraces

Thanks, i wan't them for coloration, i already have a source of actinic t5 so i won't be needing actinics, would corals benefit from them as moonlights? it doesn't say the colour temperature it just says blue LEDs.

also i will be ditching SPS keeping and stick with softies and LPS, as this is my first attempt to keep a reef tank other than the 55 gallon FOWLR i had.