What LED for a 20 gallon tall.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jborlace, Sep 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

Had to downsize from my 55 down to a 20. I have a 4 bulb T5 on it now that I got in a trade from a friend. Would like to go LEDs eventually. Would one par 38 LED bulb be enough ?

2. Click Here!

3. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Not sure if 1 would cover the leangth of a 20. 2 would for sure! How much u willing to spend?

4. jborlace

Not sure how much I'll spend. If it would take two par bulbs to cover my 20 I'd probably just buy one value reef breeders fixture for the same money. Just wasn't sure if one par 38 would be enough. Thanks.

5. benbabcock

I have the boostled par 38 and its perfect for a 1ft cube. That RB value led fixture is a great buy, so i hear, would give that a shot. Just buy 2 more down the road and u have lighting for a 125g!

6. jborlace

I had to downsize from my 55. I live in an upstairs apt. I was in the ladies apt below me on Friday and noticed about a three foot crack in her ceiling right where my 55 sits and it was sagging a little. I went with a 20 gallon tall in the bedroom for less weight. If I ever move I can put the 55 back up.

7. benbabcock

In that case, i would absolutly go with the reefbreeders value fixture, especially if you do have a desire to move in the nearish future. The par bulbs are great but only have on or off function and 12w iirc. For less than twice the price you get 115w that are dimmable and can ramp up if you have a contoller. You will never worry about being under powered and even on the 55 you'll be good for anything!