what lamps should i use?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by locod, Apr 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. locod

locod Flamingo Tongue

I am about to order a Tek-Light T5HO for my 55gal. tank. I'm going to get the 4' 4 bulb fixture. What would be the best choice of bulbs? I'm planing on getting the Giesemann powerchrome, I was thinking 2 of the midday 6000k, 1 aquablue+, and a Actinic+ (450nm). Am I on the right track? Are these good lamps or would anyone suggest a better brand?

Also I'm under the impression that the Tek-light is one of the best T5ho fixtures you can get, but should i be worried with the lack of moonlights? this fixture and lamps is at the limit of my current lighting budget, and it would be a little while (month or so) before i could add moonlights.

I only have a few mushrooms, leathers, zoas, and one lps in the tank now. I might venture into a few sps later on, and my understanding is on this size tank i should be fine with this fixture, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you ahead of time for your advice!

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

those moonlights are'nt needed,there just a cool thing to have.if you use those 6000k bulbs you may get alot of algae.i would pick an actinic and a 10,000k bulb or higher to minimize algae growth.Giesemann is a good bulb.i'm happy with mine

1 person likes this.
  4. locod

locod Flamingo Tongue

Should I go with 2 of the Aquablue+ (it says there approx 11,000k, 60% actinic and 40% white) instead of the 6000k?

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Keep asking around I am also getting some lights and it can get confusing because I had my eye on the same. to my opinion the nova T5 are reasonable enough 216, 265 or the 8 bulb 465w but like Ziggy stated indeed algae is go in to be a fact

6. locod

locod Flamingo Tongue

I was going to get the Nova T5ho too, but i saw both in use at my LFS today and i changed my mind in no time flat. I still think the Nova looks to be a good fixture, I just know I'm better off spending a little more now and getting what i want. The biggest diff. i saw between the 2 was the reflectors.

7. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

thanks for the input this hobby can get very expensive when you buy the wrong stuff

>))))*>