What kinds of algae are these?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Seano Hermano, Oct 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Some kind of macro algae? Also looks like a light dusting of diatoms on the sand.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what these are. Green, somewhat stringy, but they aren't GHA. These are less hair like (if that makes sense). It actually reminds me a bit of chaetomorpha.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The color of diatoms, but looks more like some kind of turf algae. This is slowly dying off now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a random one - hydrogen sulfide or just air bubbles? It doesn't look black like hydrogen sulfide normally is. The sand is also only about 1.5" deep.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'm not very good with algae. I once had 5 types in my tank, could only ID 2- gha and cyano.

The pockets in your sand bed look like worm tunnels. When you start your tank with LS/LR, you'll have those. :)

4. Seano Hermano

Oh, cool. Worms are good things to have. :)

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

All of your algae looks like GHA to me, especially that on the glass and the PH.

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Def GHA on the glass -- I like when it does that, and my ceriths really go to down on the new growth, I also notice tiny copepods crawling around which tells me this provides "safe havens" for them to reside in. Just take a tooth brush and brush it away when you're doing you're weekly or biweekly WC. When my first tank started I had a bunch but slowly and surely it's starting to go away completely. Realistically I feel like it's good to have algae of various sorts as long as they are kept in check. It adds to the realistic diversity of keeping part of the ocean in my living room.

7. Seano Hermano

I don't mind the algae being there in small amounts. It just made the water look hazy when looking through the front and side glass. I do like the natural look it adds though.

I removed (for the most part) what are in these pictures, but I have let some of it go. The water is easy to see through now.