What kind of wood? - Stand Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sticksmith23, Jul 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

My wife wants me to build a custom stand for our 40 gallon breeder that we are working on setting up. Right we just have the tank lol.

I want this to eventually house a sump and frag/QT in the future (right now I have a 16 gallon bow front that could be used for the frag/QT). Probably later on the year. What would be the best wood to use and how should I treat it to protect it against possible water damage and salt creep? :confused: It will most likely be painted black. :-/

I appreciate all comments, suggestions and ideas. ;D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

well as far as wood goes, i love the look of dark cherry. ;D

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I love that as well. But if my wife just wants to paint it black, I don't want to ruin beautiful wood lol. Maybe I should just build a canopy as well and move my tank to the living room!

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Build the frame out of green treated 2X4 and skin it out in whatever you like since you plan on painting it. After it's painted you can treat the interior with waterproofing if you like.

6. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Any standard building lumber (2x4s) is acceptable for framing your stand. Covering with your choice of plywood is standard too. Oversize it for additional space for your sump and frag/qt.

Making a top shelf (not limiting your frame to tank dimensions) will allow you to hold your 40B while making more room for your tanks below.

Adding height will allow for stacked tanks staggered to allow some access. However, access is definitely limited when you stack the tanks in the stand. I haven't really found a way around that.

Painting or staining the inside of the stand will help protect the wood from water spray or splashing from maintenance. I haven't noticed salt creep really affecting the wood other than making it dirty and crusty.

What sort of layout do you have in mind as of now?

-Jason

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I was thinking of doing a 20L for the sump and putting a 10 gallon sideways for the frag/QT. I haven't really played around with the measurements yet. Just brainstorming in my head right now.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Depending on how much money I have this weekend, I might go ahead and buy some 2x4's and start building this bad boy! ;D

12. Peppie

Peppie Bristle Worm

Pressure treated wood is not needed. Save your money to buy a good sealer. I am not real sure the pressure treated would be a good idea for the fact it has some really bad stuff injected into it.