Unresolved What kind of tubeworm is this?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by JMALACHI, Nov 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

This was on a favia rock I picked up this week. It's tube is hard and I'm concerned because the feather dusters I had didn't have a hard tube.
    It seems to have a head but I'm not sure and after the first part extends a bit then you see a small feather duster looking thing come out around it. These aren't great pics but I'll work on it after I pound my face with turkey. Haha. Happy Thanksgiving!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looks like a vermitid snail. Safe but can irritate corals with its feeding web.

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

The favia looks to me like it is pretty bad shape. What kind of lights do you have and can you relocate him away from the vermitid?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you remove it pull the coral out of the tank and remove all of the tube you can find.

6. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Ok cool. Thx! I may pull it off.

7. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

That's how I bought it a couple days ago so it's not my lights. I didn't think it looked great but it's a nice size so I'm it'll heal in my new tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Kill that sucker and KILL IT NOW!! I have been in constant battle with them, gluing their opening, scraping them off the rock and they have taken over my tank anyway. They're on every single piece of rock and they put out this spider web looking thing slime that will get on your corals and irritate them. If it wasn't because they're probably on the sand as well, I would nuke all my rock. At first I thought it was some type of feather duster, but then after I saw the slime on the opening I started researching more about them.... Get them while you can.

- Mag.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Double post :shame:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  11. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

I most definitely will! I don't have a good feeling about it and I'm going to see if the lfs will let me swap it for another tomorrow. That's all I need right now as I upgrade to a new tank. Thanks again!

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

If you like the coral piece you got (which by the way is really nice looking) i would take it out of the water and super glue the opening of the tube. Wait about a week to make sure he's dead and then scrape it off the piece of rock if possible.

If they had other identical frags, go for it and inspect them very well. If you see any brown/dark purple, poop looking mound on any spot of the rock, about the size of a small drop of water (2mm to 4mm) look for the next frag. Sorry about the double post earlier. No idea what happened there, Firefox had a hiccup.