What kind of Plate Coral do I have?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Dec 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I got a small baby plate coral for free today along with the hammer coral I got. It was free because it's a little beat up and pretty small. I tried looking online but I still have lots to learn about plates as I have never even thought of having one before. Does anyone know what kind/species this one is? It's very pretty under my moonighting at night!

2. Click Here!

3. HollyG

Sorry I forgot to post the picture LOL *stupid me*
    Here it is!
    pictures1 022 (800x695).jpg

4. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Is there a photo we should be looking at, LOL?

Typically there are 3 types of plates that are seen in the hobby. The long tentacle which is a Heliofungia sp....and 2 types of short tentacle...one if Fungia sp. the other is Cycloceris. I would guess you have some variation of one of those 3.

5. Reef-a-holic

That's better, LOL!

That looks like Fungia to me.

6. HollyG

Can u not see the pic? I'll post it again.

pictures1 022 (800x695).jpg

7. HollyG

ok... how common is this one?

8. Click Here!

9. Reef-a-holic

Green is probably the most common color beyond shades of brown...it looks like you have a nice neon green which can be harder to find (there are a lot that are more drab greens). Looks like yours is fairly small...most Fungia are imported from Indonesia...a small (say 2" or under) green would probably retail for $20-$40 depending on size and color from Indo or Fiji...now bring that same coral from Australia and you're approaching a retail price of $50-$100...get into the orange, mixed green/purple, and some other color morphs and prices can quickly go up...find a "rainbow" coloration and you're looking a good chunk of change.

10. HollyG

wow cool, I didn't know that they could be so expensive at such a small size. Mine is roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, so not very big at all! lol. How quickly do these guys grow? I know it probably depends on the lighting and how often you feed. I have mine under 10,000K power compact lighting with a blue LED accent strip. I also plan on feeding my little guy once a week- 2 weeks, roughly when I feed my other corals. I actually just fed the plate now and he ate a huge piece of mysis that I thought he wouldn't have beed able to swallow! lol. Seems very happy for a coral I just placed in my tank about 6 hours ago! :p

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They seem to grow fairly slowly. The more you feed it the faster it will grow. The larger it gets the faster it will grow which is true of all corals.