what kind of live rock is thi

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by THIRSTYCREW, Feb 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. THIRSTYCREW

THIRSTYCREW Plankton

Hello, I have a ?. I wanted to know what kind of l/r this is cause a buddy gave them to me but he doesn't know what kind they are any help would be great
    (rock in the middle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Looks like fiji branch, but hard to tell from the pics to get an idea of the size.

4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

It might be Marshall, but I'm not a LR ID expert. Hopefully the reef gurus on this site will be able to tell you.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Don't know what kind...but sure is pretty!

6. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Geologically speaking it's a tuffa coral rock. May leak silicates and phosphates.

7. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Definitely branch. Great looking but I found it a bit tough to build with.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive never seen branching tufa before. Tufa is calcium carbonate deposits from dried up oceans millions of years ago. Frequently mined and used in aquariums. Feller Stone being one of the biggest sellers for the aquarium trade. Its also used in rebuilding coral reefs and also used in "Farmed" liverock which is then sold as liverock.

on a side note, if you wanna buy good base rock, go to a landscaping place that sales stone, ask them if they can get you tufa rock. Most places can get if they don't carry it, its typically $0.25lb. Back when I use to farm liverock, I saw where a place in Tampa Bay was using it, and I started using it too. I use to keep all the LFS's stocked with farmed liverock. Thinking about farming some again.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

are you refering to Tuff rock aka Tufo? Thats rock we do not want in our tanks. Thats formed from volcano's and comes with lots of lovely things we do not want in our aquariums.

(my brother is a geologist ;D)

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

tuffa is just limestone perfectly safe.volcanos produce lava rock which is red and usually has harmful toxins that i can say from experience can kill all your fish in a cpl months.learned from my 29 gallon tradgedy.sorry i can't name that rock for sure,maybe fiji but it does'nr really matter.live rock is liverock accept for a different shade of coraline or different shape.the more pores the better.thats a nice friend to have

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't know anything about anything;D but it looks just like some fiji that I bought for my tank. that would be my best guess.