What kind of algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by m_lacom99, Jan 7, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey guys and gals, a buddy at work recently started a 12gal nano-cube at our office. The cycle is pretty much done. But there is this cool looking algae growing on the LR at a couple of spots. Just wondering what kind is it??? good or bad???

Thanks

Marc.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. reef_novice

reef_novice Astrea Snail

Hi, I am the guy at Marc office that have this algae in his NANO-CUBE. Any one have some tips for us with the cube...??

Yves

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Now, don't hold me to this, but from that pic, looks like it could be hair algae......bad :-/
    If you can pick it off by the base and toss it that would be good! Try to improve water quality.

Are there any animals in the tank yet?
    Is it the 12 gallon nano? by JBL? Skimmer?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ugh i have the in my nano cube...lol what can i put in it...i have some hermits in the reef r those good...i forgot how to deal with that...so long since i had my algae faze with the reef...w00t

6. mojoreef

mojoreef Bristle Worm

The best way to fight algae is to remove its food source. So ro/di water, carefull on feeding, blow the rocks off once week. and general maintence of gettng rd of waste/detritus.

Mike

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I agree with mojoreef, nitrates and phosphates are the main culprits. That definitely is hair algae. If you can't use an RO/DI unit you'll have to bring in water. Make sure you test the water from wherever you get it. And make sure you are skimming well or if not skimming then make sure to clean the filter media weekly.

If you can get some grazers (tangs and a few other fish are good) in there it would help, but the tank may not be ready for that. In that case Birdlady is right, pull the algae out at the base. Unfortunately, if you can't get the root it will come back.

Drew

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Its not hair algea guys... that i know for sure. yes birdlady its the 12 gallon nano-cube DX by JBL no Skimmer on it though. This algae isnt like a patch of grass like hair algae it start from a main "trunk, branch or whatever" and braches off. The water will be tested on monday.

Thanks all.

Marc.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hair algae can be branching...I had a wicked case of it during my cycle.....but whatever it is, nutrient control is the key ;)

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

The tank is still very new. setup about 3 weeks old.. but it cycled prety fast. if you want to know the setup just read my buddy's sig on the second post of this thread, its his cube but im helping out. In the tank right now are just some hermits and a snail that are doing fine. If you say its hair algae ill believe you guys and rip it out on monday when i get to the office. bumer cause it looked nice, was thinking about keeping it.

Thanks all

Marc.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yeah, it is quite attractive in the early stages..I liked watching it sway with the current ....until..that is ....it grew over everything and would not go away!!!