What kind of algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by TheManJordo, Nov 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheManJordo

TheManJordo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 29 gallon fowlr tank thats been set up for about a year... there is a Clarkii Clown, Saddleback Valentine Puffer, Dottyback, Damsel, and a Condi anemone... I have never had a CUC in the tank but I'm thinking its time...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

The red looks like cyano to me. Green looks like green hair algae.

4. TheManJordo

so time for a CUC? i hear a lot about reefcleaners.com... is that the way to go?

5. nedim

nedim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

For the cyano (red stuff) it is best to siphon out as much as possible and increase flow.
    For the hair algea add a couple turbo snails, which are a few bucks at the LFS

Edit: I just read that you have never had a CUC. You should have gotten one a long time ago lol. I am fortunate to have had mine ever since the tank was done cycling. I recommend getting a few hermits, nasarius, nerite and turbo snails. You can talk to John at reefcleaners, he will set you up with a perfect CUC for a great price. His name on this forums is johnmaloney. Good luck!

6. TheManJordo

Yeah... I have learned that... This was my first saltwater tank... I didnt know snails were important... I thought they would just breed and cause problems... Oops... Ive contacted John but Im not expecting a response until like next week with the holiday approaching.