What kind of algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by fbird, Jan 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Any one have any idea what this is? I have been picking it off the rocks as it grows and it just comes back. I know this is a sign of high phospates and most likely nitrates and am working to overcome that issue. I found out the place I have been buying my water from was just ro not rodi as well as just plain laziness on my part of doing water changes. I have replaced lights, added cheato to the sump and have am planning to get a gfo reactor to help get things in line. Is there anything that will eat it? maybe a pygmy angel? Its fairly coarse and really holds on to the rocks. The "hairs" are straight with no fern like branches like byropsis (not sure if I spelled that right).

I'm getting ready to move everything to new tank and would love to have everything looking better before the transfer. Any help is appreciated. If you need more pics please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Looks like Green hair algae to me, try to manually remove as much as possible, the GFO should help it in time, also try not to overfeed

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

green hair algae and cyano i assume. gonna want ro/di to get rid of those bastards XD

5. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

it looks like green hair algae. High nitrates will cause problems with algae. what are your nitrates currently as well as phosphates (keep an eye on phosphates anything past .25 and your corals might start to die off slowly)

6. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Not sure what my nitrates are at this time. I ordered a new test kit the other day. All mine are really old. I'm sure they are high. I have had green hair algea in the past and its usually from my experiences fairly soft with hair like strands. This stuff is really coarse. Is this just a tough strain of GHA?

I found a new place for water and will probably get my own rodi set up and I am only feeding once every 2 or 3 days with only 2 fish.

7. swinkreptiles

swinkreptiles Melanarus Wrasse

I would say chaeto if its coarser but it doesnt root....I dont think.

8. Click Here!

9. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Its not as coarse as cheato but is definately rooted to the rock. I did have hair algae at one time but this seem to of replaced it. I guess it could be some weird GHA. I really just want to find something that may eat it. Hermits and snails don't even make a dent in it. I don't want a tang as its a only 25 (soon to be a 45).

10. Craigar

Craigar Flamingo Tongue

Double your water changes and use rodi water. While doing water changes scrape off all you can. A brush works well and suck it out as you go is it on a rock that you can move to less light! Shorten your lights up but not to much to fast