What kind of algae is this!!HELP Its starting to spread!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Katie Grant, Jan 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

It started out as a really small patch but now spread onto two other rocks, inverts arnt touching it :( I first thought bryopis but it doesnt look fern like, unless theres other strans out there?? Any Ideas? How do i get rid of it!!! Just did a water change 2 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Sure looks like Bryopsis to me...

5. Katie Grant

This is a picture of bryopsis I found on the internet. It looks Just like it minus the smaller pieces coming off of them making them look like ferns, each one is just a single thick stran

6. Katie Grant

Looks similar but its not as dense and thick as that clump

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

The fourth picture looks like bryopsis, not too sure about the other ones. IME, it doesn't always look fern-like. The last time I dealt with it, it didn't get the fern appearance until the magnesium went up and it started to die. Early on, it looks very similar to GHA, but the bryopsis grows in clumps, whereas the GHA grows longer and not in clumps.

I had a mild case of it and treated the tank with Algaefix. It worked. On everything except the bryopsis. When it had nothing to compete with, it went crazy. 1,800 mag with Kent Tech M took care of it. I keep the mag at 1,600 now, and don't have an issue with it. This nuisance algae is much more common than people realize.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

+1,sure looks like bryopsis to me in pic #2 and 4 and yes they're is species that don't have the ferns,and some has to grow out a bit more to develope ferns on them.Nasty,nasty little algae.

Some species are also immune to the tech-m treatment (such as one type i had).IMO,you'd better get on it quick with the tech m,if it does not stop growing,turn white-ish,or recede,as your mag climbs then personally i would nuke that rock.

I went to 2100 with my mag which did nothing.But during my first fight with it,the tech m killed it off before i got to 1600 (2 different tanks).

10. Hawaii777

Hawaii777 Astrea Snail

+ 2 Looks like Bryopsis, be sure to remove it soon. Because, It is a persistent algae and is hard to eradicate.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Bryopsis. :/ I would treat is as fast as you can.

12. Katie Grant

What are the best treatment options?