what kind of algae do I have? Will it go away?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kmooresd85, Jan 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kmooresd85

kmooresd85 Plankton

I started a 40 gallon tank a little while ago and went through the cycle. ammonia and nitrite's at 0 with nitrates probably little less than 20 today. When i got 0's for ammonia and nitrite, and started recording nitrate i was told cycle is done, so i got a pair of clowns which are so small i cant imagine the bio load being too much. just before getting them i started getting some algae. i got the diatoms which i kinda expected but i also have some sort of hair algae i believe. it seems greenish/brownish and literally looks like grass. looking at it from the front glass its like one dot with three/four blades of grass growing out. i have a bunch of it but all are growing in there own separate "bushes" of three/for blades. some are on the rocks and some out of the sand. I will try and get a pic later today. Does anyone recognize this? Did I add fish too early? (they seem to be doing great though) Most importantly, do I have a big problem on my hands?

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It is most likely hair algae but a pic would help. Just because all of your params are "0" does not mean they actually are. The nutrients could be being used by the algae that is growing. All this is normal for a new tank. Make sure you are using RO/DI for making water. It may be time for a clean up crew if you do not have one yet. Go to Reefcleaners.org and they will help you out with one for your tank. Good luck!!

4. kmooresd85

kmooresd85 Plankton

i will get pics up later today. should i just let it be for now and go through the process and get a cuc? i dont want to add any other livestock besides the two clowns that are already there if there is potential for a crisis. hopefully just a new tank thing

5. kmooresd85

kmooresd85 Plankton

ive always used ro/di as well by the way

6. kmooresd85

kmooresd85 Plankton

here are the actual pictures of it

Attached Files:

7. Coasterofluv

Coasterofluv Fire Worm

wow! could this have come off your rock?
    Anyways JMO but you should definitely have at least 50 blue legged crabs. They should have gone in weeks before the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. kmooresd85

kmooresd85 Plankton

I talked to John Maloney of reefleaners.org and he told me he couldnt really id it. He did say it seems to be too small to be one of the ones that give people headaches but suggested byropsis.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I am curious to see other's opinions of what that is...I have not seen that before...it's very odd in its growth pattern...

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Wow.....new to me

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Anyone?? I am really curious to know what that is....