Resolved What is wrong with my anemone?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by link248, Jul 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I just got it 2 weeks ago and it was doing fine until the other day. I didn't do my water change today like I normaly do on fridays. I had my water tested at my LFS before I bought the anemone. Here is what my paramiters are now, just tested it.

salinity is 1.022
    Ph 7.8
    Nitrates 10
    nitrites 0
    ammonia 0.50 which was 0 last week
    cal 440
    phos 0.25
    CH 179
    Water temp is 78.3

40 gallon breeder with 20g refugium, protien skimmer and filter sock
    tank is 6 months old since I transfered from a 29g
    Tank has 2 clowns, 1 hovens wrase, 1 purple dottyback, feather duster, peppermint shrimp and snails.

4 bulb T5 lights, 6 months old, 1 800gph power head and 162gph powerhead.

Any help would be great

first picture was taken last week, 2nd one was taken a hour ago

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

did you acclimate her properly to your tank, or did you just throw her in? im far from being an expert but i read that ideal ph should be between 8.1 and 8.5 and salinity (or rather specific gravity) idealy should be between 1.022 - 1.025. but yea, i was actually going to get one as well and im glad i didnt seeing how fragile they are need to let my tank really settle properly they are not cheap either.

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

how long has your tank been set up... you should have zero ammonia long before adding any critters... my guess is your tank may not have cycled yet...

Also, consider raising your salinity slowly to near reef specs to 1.025

you may want to consider a 25% water change to lower your ammonia in the meantime... nems are usually pretty hardy and sometimes they can bounce back.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes Swisswiss, they are quite fragile indeed.

Link248~ Your SG is low for a nem, or most any other invert. Ideally, the higher, the better. Most keep theirs around 1.024 - 1.026.

You're also showing ammonia which can be fatal, and your P4 is high.

PH of 7.8 is acceptable, but shouldn't go any lower. As Swisswiss already pointed out, 8.1 - 8.4 is optimum.

You need to do your water change. Are you running any carbon, GFO, etc for water quality control?

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

If its looking like that more than likely its a goner. Sorry.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I suspect you have a detectable level of ammonia because the anemone is decaying. Regardless I would remove it and do a water change to provide for the other tank inhabitants.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I'm not trying to be mean, and I thank you for your help, but make sure you read my entire post, before you offer help. I gave all of the details on my tank and didn't have the ammonia last week when I tested the tank

10. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

11. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I acclimated it for like an hour, same as I do a fish. It was fine until the other day.
    I think my clowns are trying to help it, because they are diging in it's mouth

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

woah thats nuts. Dunno but something definately looks wrong. It almost looks like its upside down and that is the anenomes foot showing on top. Keep an eye on it, if it really looks like its going downhill you should be prepared to remove it. The last thing you want is it to die in your tank, but then again anenomes do some crazy things so give it time and dont remove it too early.