what is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by PB&J, Oct 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PB&J

PB&J Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

ok ive had this live rock in my tank for about 2 weeks now. ove the past 5 days ive seen this (picture below) white fuzzy alge looking stuff growing on my live rock. its growing on what looks like to be a purpleish in color pigment covering the tip of the live rock. anyone know what it is? thanks

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

That looks like a sponge to me. I have them in several rocks in my tank and they're supposed to help filter your water. Take a closer look, and see if it has little tube like vents. If it does, that's a dead give away that it is a sponge.

It's a good extra filter.

- Mag.

4. PB&J

it just looks like thick peach fuzz lol. i dont see anything eles.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Does it have any "pores" on it? It definitely looks like a sponge in the making to me, but maybe someone else will confirm.
    Did you take this picture with the macro function of your camera? That would help with the definition of the picture.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It is a sponge. It will for a time (a few months from my experience) and then get eaten or die off.

7. PB&J

sorry, this is a pic with my cell, thats as good as it gets. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt something irregular or bad for my tank