What is this?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kss2801, Feb 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

I was playing around with my camera and I took some pics of my tank. When I was looking through the pics I saw these red spots on my yellow tang, just above the eye. Anyone have an idea what it is? Is this a problem?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Could be the start of hole in the head disease. What are you feeding. You meed to make sure tangs get plenty of vegetable matter in their diet. Nori is a good choice.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Also you have cyano, the red stuff on the rocks. Lower you phosphates, increase your pH if it is below 8.2, and increase your circulation. You may need to lower your nitrates also. Please post your water parameters.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ditto, plus make sure you're adding a quality vitamin to their food and HUFA's at least a couple times per week.

6. kss2801

I use nori, feed spirulina flakes and a ground shrimp and garlic mix.
    I'm out of the test strips right now and the country is basically on holiday until Wednesday. I am in the process of connecting a sump/fuge and then installing a skimmer so that will definitely help with any phosphate/nitrates. Circulation will also be increased b/c of the return pump.

Are there other measures to take aside from diet change? Could the marks be anything else?

7. kss2801

any other ideas?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you got a ground probe in the tank?

10. kss2801

No ground probe. I was researching HLLE and saw that stray voltage can be a cause but then I saw many conflicting views on using a ground probe, so I'm still undecided about getting one.

Could the marks be anything other then HLLE? Like a sting form aptaisia? I don't even notice the marks if look at the with my naked eye only in zoomed pictures.
    Is what I'm feeding sufficient?