what is this

Discussion in 'Algae' started by milo, Dec 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. milo

milo Plankton

what kind of algea is this and how do i get rid of it
    [ DSCF1880.JPG

DSCF1881.JPG

DSCF1883.JPG

DSCF1879.JPG

DSCF1882.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Looks like your common diatoms. How old is the tank and has it gone through it's complete cycle?

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

those look like diatoms Milo

its a pretty new tank and these are common, but
    Diatoms utilise silicates to construct themselves, so in new tanks, with all the new plastics thus high silicate levels Diatom blooms are very very common

once the silicates are exhuasted, the Diatoms can no longer contruct themselves and they dissapear

they often arrive between weeks 4 and 8 on a new set up tank
    and by week 10 and 12 - your tank goes back to being as clean as the day you set it up

nothing required at all on your part - other than make sure you dont add more silicates - say for example from tap water?

if you add a new wavemaker or other plastic item in the future, you can and often do experience diatoms on that new piece of equipment but again its very short lived IME

Steve

5. milo

milo Plankton

k thanks my take has ben up for 5 months but about a month ago i adden a sump over flow box skimmer and nitrate reactor and i check my level's every day and they are all zero except ammonia its 0.25 but i have got some kents pro ammonia and it has not droped what should i do i have 7 snails and 7 blue and red hermit crabs and a emrald crab i dont want to loose them

6. milo

milo Plankton

and two clowns

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I would get the ammonia test kit double checked 1st
    I reckon there have been a number of knee jerk reactions to test kit readings, that where actually inaccurate test results - what kit is it please?

has anything in your tank died recently?

the addition of the sump and overflows etc , will account for the diatom bloom, but again, no action required , let it run its course.

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. milo

milo Plankton

its a saltwater master liquid test kit byaquarium pharmaceuticals

10. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I agree with the diatom bloom. My tank had a huge bloom that went away almost as quick as it came.

11. reef4girl

reef4girl Feather Duster

The color on the API between 0 and .25 is close in color . in different light the color will look different. I use sunlight to read my test.