What is this?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Camkha1234, Jan 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

What type of Sea Urchin should I get? Either way, I'll probably return it to the LFS so it won't starve afterwards.

4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i got a Echinometra mathaei, it came free as it was under a small montipora frag ( i saw it but my LFS did not ;) )but yea love the little guy. he is nocturnal but i find him crazy interesting, had him for about a year now

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure but this could be the same recommendation at swiss - I don't know the scientific name but I love my tuxedo urchin...cruises all over the tank.....another option could be Cam, try the peroxide method on your rocks piece by piece in addition to adding the urchin....I used it on one of my rocks that was prone to hair algae and it really does work....that will help along with the urchin. A 29 isn't too small for a small foxface if you only kept it temporarily - just a thought...

6. Camkha1234

Very cool looking! What do you feed it?

I used peroxide, dosing and applying directly on the rocks out of the tank, before my tank crashed and it did almost nothing :-/ What type of peroxide should I be using?

And what type of Foxface would eat the Caulerpa? Do they jump? I don't have a top on my tank yet. And I would definitely return it when it ate it all (I would feel bad keeping one in my tank as a permanent resident :) )

7. Camkha1234

Well I ended up getting a Pincushion Urchin because it was less than 1/3 of the price of a Foxface, and I would've felt bad with one in my tank. I'm going to let the Urchin do its thing and I'll keep removing it manually.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

I'm really surprised the peroxide didn't work for you....I just used regular 3% peroxide. I never dosed, just applied with a Qtip (outside of the tank)let it sit for about 5 minutes then put it back in the tank...this was for hair algae - you'd have to manually remove the caulerpa and then apply. However, I'd probably not want to do it if I had a tank crash with peroxide somewhere in the equation.

10. Camkha1234

It couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work either :-/ Hopefully the Urchin works, though.

11. oldfishkeeper

I hope it works for you too!! Pin cushions are cool too....really any urchin is a neat creature!

12. Camkha1234

I agree! I love mine! It's destroying my algae :D